Brownie Box or Spicer 5831

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. Dieselguy 123 you have a PM. Sounds like maybe the 5831 install isn't too bad, lot of work though...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, As dskbrks said, his dad did this back in 87. The truck is a 69 F350 frame w/390 bored .060 w/427 crank and rods. It has a New Process435 4sp with a 16" drive shaft feeding the front of the Brownie 3 way. The crossmember to mount this thing is completely fabricated as is the shifter which is mounted on left side of main trans. This gives a total of 12 forward and 3 reverse gears. To my belief the only ones to ever drive this and go thru all 12 are diskbrkes and myself (fixman) And yes , I still have this truck. It has dump bed, air compressor, air-ride driver seat, air tank on frame. This was a 6 month project built from ground up. It wound up with a 77 F150 cab.

:yell: PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PLEASE:thumbsup:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
PICTURES PLEEEESE :hail :hail :hail
I'll be mounting mine soon ;Sweet
Any visual references would sure be nice.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'll try to get you guys some pictures over the weekend... any shots in particular?

How about every angle you can poke that camera into :D
Seriously though. shift rod clearance over/aside the main box, Mounting position, all that fun stuff.
What size ujoints did you wind up with ?

discbrks

Reaction score
How about every angle you can poke that camera into

Its been raining all day today... and supposed to rain tomorrow too. But if it lets up for a while, I'll get out to dad's house & take as many pics as I can.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if you are going that far coundnt you take a 4x2 t-18 and cut the input off and put a yoke on instead. would take some machining work but you can pick them up cheep. i am sure you could work out some cable shifting with the top to.

not sure about the gear ratios though.....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
if you are going that far coundnt you take a 4x2 t-18 and cut the input off and put a yoke on instead. would take some machining work but you can pick them up cheep. i am sure you could work out some cable shifting with the top to.

not sure about the gear ratios though.....

It would be a killer underdrive, but I'm pretty sure they are 1:1 4th gear, like the T-19, so you wouldnt get an overdrive off of it. Its good thinking though ;Sweet.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
good point forgot about the overdrive...:idiot: it would be purely and underdrive set up which might still work if you put some really tall gears in the rear.

discbrks

Reaction score
Well guys, I've been a slacker and haven't gotten your pics yet. But they're comming. I gotta question for you guys (RLDSL in particular): what rearend gear are you planning on running. I ask because my Dad's old truck has a 4.11 in it. I remember driving the truck and you never really use the low range of the brownie - esp. 1st gear & low - you can walk faster than the truck wil idle. Driving empty, I would actually just leave the brownie in high, and start out with the main trans. in 2nd, 3rd, then 4th. If I had his 16' gooseneck with "something" on it, then I'd put the brownie in "direct" (or 2nd), run the main trans from 2nd thru 4th, then shift the brownie in high. I guess what I'm saying is that if you're gonna install the brownie, you might be better off going with a 3.55's. I know the old 390 has a different power band, but I never ran thru all 12 forward gears because I 'had' to - only to show off to my buddys. The 3 reverse gears were the best to show off with!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well guys, I've been a slacker and haven't gotten your pics yet. But they're comming. I gotta question for you guys (RLDSL in particular): what rearend gear are you planning on running. I ask because my Dad's old truck has a 4.11 in it. I remember driving the truck and you never really use the low range of the brownie - esp. 1st gear & low - you can walk faster than the truck wil idle. Driving empty, I would actually just leave the brownie in high, and start out with the main trans. in 2nd, 3rd, then 4th. If I had his 16' gooseneck with "something" on it, then I'd put the brownie in "direct" (or 2nd), run the main trans from 2nd thru 4th, then shift the brownie in high. I guess what I'm saying is that if you're gonna install the brownie, you might be better off going with a 3.55's. I know the old 390 has a different power band, but I never ran thru all 12 forward gears because I 'had' to - only to show off to my buddys. The 3 reverse gears were the best to show off with!

I've got a 4.10 rear in mine. So far, I may just leave the thing. If anything, I might pop a 3.70 in it, but I doubt I'd want to go any taller. My 5er weighs in around 10k loaded to roll ( add a few more to that with the generator I'm installing right now..add a few more pounds for the bed tank I'm fixin' to put in ) I really want those crawling gears 1st and reverse are way to tall on that zf5, expecialy when you're half crippled like I am. My left knee just isn't up to riding that clutch anymore, but with those deep low gears, just let out the clutch and walk the thing in. It'll make stuffing that 5er into tough spots a joy. For towing I've already figured that I'll probably be using 4 over anyway, so going extra tall on my rear really isn''t going to help my cause. Now I use 4th most of the time because 5th eats too much fuel . 4 over should be in just the right spot for pull power and fuel mileage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online