Broke down in Georgia I-75 exit 117

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread on the 911, no one looking at it.

OnDaRoad "Jim" is down. Lift pump went out and filled crankcase with fuel, he changed oil, and new pump, but it's knocking badly, afraid to drive it as he's pulling a large trailer. He is at a Sunoco station off I-75 exit 117. Any help would be appreciated. Call him 260-804-6695 or me 419-302-5336. I am going down to help, but not til Friday or Saturday.

Thanks
Bill

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm cutting my own throat here, but if you're near SLE2115 resid, he's got a set of STD bearings both rods and mains for a third of wholesale. If "OnDa road" is in the mood for a engine pull and the crank isn't undersized and can be reused, sliding in a set of bearings will get him back on the road again.
lmk if you're going that option, if not, I'm going to pull the trigger buying the bearings from Scott on friday.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If she's bad enough to be knocking, but still runs and pulls, it probably means an engine anyway; myself, I would probably just keep on rollin' and get as close to home as it would take me.

That kind of repair is not something I would undertake in a filling-station parking-lot.

He ain't hauling livestock, I hope.
:)

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep..... what he said ^^^^^^

if its a bottom end knock the engine is toast, just baby it home and it might make it. if its an injector knock then maybe still air in the system......

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
He's only 88 miles from Foxman and his son who are both members here . Im pretty sure Foxman would have room for him to fool with it , he has quite a collection . I'll PM you his phone number. he may not be looking at email today.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm cutting my own throat here, but if you're near SLE2115 resid, he's got a set of STD bearings both rods and mains for a third of wholesale. If "OnDa road" is in the mood for a engine pull and the crank isn't undersized and can be reused, sliding in a set of bearings will get him back on the road again.
lmk if you're going that option, if not, I'm going to pull the trigger buying the bearings from Scott on friday.

Thanks to all who responded.
I think it's under control now, I'm going down and pull his trailer back to Dayton OH. I'll have him drive the truck ahead of me and see if it will make it back. If it don't we'll park it. Got my oil changed and heading down in the morning.

Towcat: Ain't going to do any repairs on the road. Thanks for the offer.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going down there anyway, if at all possible, take a big flat-bed WITH ANOTHER TRUCK ON IT.

When you get there, hook the hauled truck to his trailer and load the dis-abled truck on the flat-bed trailer.

We have had to do that more than once.

Another option is to load the dis-abled truck on the flat-bed and hook the trailer behind; of course, if it is much of a trailer, this option takes a wheel-horse of a truck to handle it all.
:)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Might just be able to get a trailer to haul my 90 down and do the swap like you said, only thing is the trailer is a big heavy construction hauler. I was just thinking of towing my 90 down, I do have a tow bar to do that, but the distance is far,742 miles one way, and wouldn't have brakes on the toad.

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
too far with out brakes ......... if you do it though, you might want to put 500 pounds in the back of the tow rig to compensate for no tongue weight...... no brakes will be bad enough but no tongue weight and no traction is infinitely worse....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger