Brick cab issues...

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Getting new cab home today and currently it's sitting on two 4X4s under the mounts.... With rockers touching the ground. It may be drug onto a rollback and most likely, the 4X's are going to try and stay put. It was lifted off the chassis but the tractor used may not be available. I'm going to try and have the driver get the bed under the 4's and back under it using the weight of the cab to push the 4's into the ground and the ground to keep them still and it slide up onto the bed. My fear is the rockers will be damaged and/or the rear corners will get damaged.
Thoughts?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear corners are pretty tough. I wouldn't worry about them too bad as long as you don't drop it on them. As for the rockers, again, as long as you don't drop it you might tweak the outer a bit but a little hammer and dolly love will probably sort that pretty quick. If you can't just lift the thing, you'd probably be better off to like put it on skies and drag it on carefully. Maybe even rear first so you can lift it up a bit to keep it from digging in. The other option is to crib it up like I mentioned before and drive under it.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
The rear corners are pretty tough. I wouldn't worry about them too bad as long as you don't drop it on them. As for the rockers, again, as long as you don't drop it you might tweak the outer a bit but a little hammer and dolly love will probably sort that pretty quick. If you can't just lift the thing, you'd probably be better off to like put it on skies and drag it on carefully. Maybe even rear first so you can lift it up a bit to keep it from digging in. The other option is to crib it up like I mentioned before and drive under it.

Well, The plan changed as fast as I could blink. Someone mentioned furniture dollies. She was lifted onto 4 of them while resting on the 4X's, Then pulled onto the rollback VERY carefully and had more straps then a father approved prom dress holding it onto the bed. VERY nerve riding experience the 50 miles back home. Once home, pulled all the straps off and slowly rolled her back down. Right now, Shes sitting on 2 front cab mounts, a rear wall seam, and the left rear corner and not tweaked or buckled at this time that I could tell. In a couple of days once I get some sleep, I'm going to re-position it better. I got off work at 6 am and have been at this since and going back in less than a hour from now. Pics and progress will come in the following days. Thanks for the ideas. If not for them, this would of been harder than what it was. BTW, i may have a solid donor cab come up for sale soon. Just needs some welding I cannot and do not know how to do. And yes, I still got out cheaper this way than a body shop at $85 an hour labor fixing my old one.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Furniture dollys are one of my best friends. Glad you got it moved.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Thought I got ones with locking casters but didn't so imma try to exchange them. Harbor fright dollies can take one hell of a beating and still stand strong. Need lockers since its on a declined driveway

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Furniture Dollys rock!!

I'd say 95% of the time I have something on a furniture dolly, it's not furniture.....

I the last couple times, I had my drain machine on one, and the snowthrower fits nicely on one when it's not on the tractor.....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Works awesome for transmissions. I had the frame and axles on 4 of the little ones at one point.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
First pics. Looks rough but still needs cleaning and stripped. Also has a computer interface that was under the seat with parallel PC connector and a glass mount antenna...

You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure what the box is, FCC Id is cj69xae04437b
Audiovox model CMT-455

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought actually. Might have been a bag phone.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
My thoughts too. Had a cable running up to the dash but had the end cut off however, There is still a mic hanging from the A pillar. We'll see when I start stripping it. I do have intentions of having a bluetooth setup in this truck once I get the cab on the chassis. Doesn't look to much to get the interior cleaned and swapped from my current cab which is in a storage trailer to this one. I wish I could assemble the interior then mount on the chassis. So far after 15 minutes of looking, Doesn't look to bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online