Braking Problem

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I hope you guys are having great weekends. Anyways I have been having somewhat of a braking problem for a few months now. The truck seems to pull to the left when I apply the brakes (very noticeable at highway speeds braking for a stop sign). It does pull fairly hard and it never used to do this. It's like this has happened all of a sudden. Most of the time the brakes but it will not always do this. I noticed yesterday that if I apply the brakes and it pulls to the left, if I let off the brake pedal then reapply it, it will no longer pull to the left. What do you guys think this could be? Maybe a sticking piston in the drivers side caliper? I have also noticed the truck seems to have a much more sensitive brake pedal since the temps have warmed up around here. If anyone knows why that is too, let me know please! Thanks everyone

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take bets on you having the right front caliper frozen up in it's slide mounts.

Left caliper is working better so it gives you majority of stopping power. Take off the right front wheel and give a good look at the brake pads for even wear. Also, while you are there, drive out the square pins the caliper mounts on and wire brush the hell out of the slots top and bottom, clean up the mount "pins" and lube them with high temp brake grease so the caliper can float like it's supposed to. Do the same to the left side while you are at it.

I just did a brake job on my "new 87 F250" that the PO failed to lube the calipers on.. right side frozen, caliper ate the inside surface completely off the disk.. metal to metal brakes.. full pull to the left in a stop... hang on to your hat.

BTDT.

BTW, Use the ratchet end of a long 1/4 extension to drive out the pins. The 1/4 square placed at the top of the slot and tapped down and in compresses the rubber and pushes the "pin" back and out. A 1/4 extension used as a drive punch will pass through the square opening to drive the pins out.. try it.. you will see how it works.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take bets on you having the right front caliper frozen up in it's slide mounts.

Left caliper is working better so it gives you majority of stopping power. Take off the right front wheel and give a good look at the brake pads for even wear. Also, while you are there, drive out the square pins the caliper mounts on and wire brush the hell out of the slots top and bottom, clean up the mount "pins" and lube them with high temp brake grease so the caliper can float like it's supposed to. Do the same to the left side while you are at it.

I just did a brake job on my "new 87 F250" that the PO failed to lube the calipers on.. right side frozen, caliper ate the inside surface completely off the disk.. metal to metal brakes.. full pull to the left in a stop... hang on to your hat.

BTDT.

BTW, Use the ratchet end of a long 1/4 extension to drive out the pins. The 1/4 square placed at the top of the slot and tapped down and in compresses the rubber and pushes the "pin" back and out. A 1/4 extension used as a drive punch will pass through the square opening to drive the pins out.. try it.. you will see how it works.

1st thing I thought of, too. Mine weren't frozen, but were very dry. When reassembling, some high temp bearing grease or caliper grease should do wonders.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Another reason for a tight caliper is the brake hose is shot. They fail on the inside so much so that the brake pressure can get in but it can't get out. Might try replacing the front hoses.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A small tube of Hi pressure grease is better and cheaper than the small packs of grease they sell you for brakes.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Many thanks, fellas. Will be jacking up the van in a couple weeks. Tire shop said almost time to do the fronts, and Raybestos "Advanced Technology" pads have arrived.

Hopefully a quick-n- easy fix for you, Hydro. I haven't done disc brakes in decades. Don't remember greasing the calipers, but it makes sense. :dunno