Brakes

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bled my brakes today, went RR-LR-RABS-RF-LF and my ABS works now, it never used to work and the light never has gone on but save for one bumpy road, drove up to 50MPH and slammed on the brakes and the rear locked up and slid then all of a sudden the ABS started working and now works every time, it stops a whole lot faster now too without locking the rears up or fronts. I do think I need new brake lines and calipers/wheel cylinders because the brake fluid was dark dark amber with alot of small black chunks I am assuming to be rubber pieces from the insides of the rubber lines and piston seals, any advice on those? Thanks!

Oh BTW the truck just turned 220,000 Miles and still runs strong!!!!

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok another thing I noticed today, when pushing ******* the brakes at a stop with the engine running the pedal will almost go to the floor slowly with no loss of brakes, but with the engine off it does not move an inch with the vacuum bled off, is this a problem with my brake booster?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No.. Your rear brakes need to be manually adjusted. The auto adjusters really don't work. You can check how out of adjustment they are by setting the parking brake. If it sets more than half way to thw floor its needing a manual adjustment. What happens is the fronts are doing all the stopping. When to get stopped the pressure continues to fill the rear cylinders till your foot is almost on the floor. Thats not good. You will overheat the front rotors and the pads will wear much faster. I cracked 2 rotors till I found what was going on. Another thing to can do is install the hydroboost system for the brakes. It doubles the line pressure and the larger master cylinder compensates for the rears being out of adjustment. Now some will post here telling you this is crap.... Well, I have done it and I have never had such great brakes. No matter what I did my vacuum brakes were never that good for what I do... Sure, these trucks have a tow weight limit and I stay really close to that. But going from 1000 lbs of pressure with the vacuum assisted to the 2000 lbs hydroboost assisted brakes has made a big differance.. I post what has worked for me. Not what I've herd works.... I don't mind being challenged on what I post either so bring it if you want guys......:fight: :fan: ;Poke :popcorn

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say the rear adjusters don't work. As a blanket statement, that would be inaccurate. There are people out there, who never use their parking brake, and never back up. For those folks, yea it don't work. That's the only way the adjuster will operate. And of course, just because you start doing that having read this, doesn't mean it's going to work. They usually don't have the lubrication or maintanance needed to keep them working. My rear brakes stay up to ***** because my parking brake gets used all the time, and any time I service my brakes, I take the adjuster apart and clean and lubricate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online