Brake Light possibly caused by dieing vacumm pump

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
If you converted to hydroboost from vacuum, The vacuum sensor may still be hooked up. The sensor is not plugged in on the F-450's. Just unplug it and the light should go out.

Thank you, I did not realize they are unplugged on the F450s. I would be tempted to unplug it, but there is still a problem somewhere in the system.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Change the pump. It WILL fail at this point.

Thanks. i think i will. now that i have a job and will be starting scholl in 2 weeks it is a fine time to start trouble shooting. do you think it would be worth it to try and trouble shoot or skip that step and just get a new pump.

Any body know of a good place to get a vac pump. what about rock auto's pumps?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Well today i got a vac gauge and tested my pump. at idle it pulled 25 inhg. then i hit the brake pedal and the vac droped to about 10 inhg. when i released the brake pedal it took mabey 30-35 sec to build back up to 25 inhg. if i hit the brakes three times the vac would go all the way down to about 5 inhg. it took even longer to build up. i isolated all the lines and discovered that i did not have any leaks so i came to the conclusion that my vac pump is bad.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
are there any special tools needed to take the pump off? any tricks to get the pump off?

power steering pump pulley remover to get that pulley off. after that it is three bolts and out. dont even try using a gear puller on the pulley it will turn it into a pretzal in no time.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
power steering pump pulley remover to get that pulley off. after that it is three bolts and out. dont even try using a gear puller on the pulley it will turn it into a pretzal in no time.

Thanks. i don't have one of those but my local carquest just started up a rental program so i will rent one from them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well today i got a vac gauge and tested my pump. at idle it pulled 25 inhg. then i hit the brake pedal and the vac droped to about 10 inhg. when i released the brake pedal it took mabey 30-35 sec to build back up to 25 inhg. if i hit the brakes three times the vac would go all the way down to about 5 inhg. it took even longer to build up. i isolated all the lines and discovered that i did not have any leaks so i came to the conclusion that my vac pump is bad.

That would be the correct conclusion. ;Sweet

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
That would be the correct conclusion. ;Sweet

Thanks Mel. especially since i allready ordered my new (not reman) vac pump from rock auto.

I thought i had read somewhere that you should pre-oil the vac pump or something:dunno. any truth to that or other things i should do to it before first start up?