Brake light out. Turn signal switch?

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another interesting electrical issue.

Right side brake light stopped working
Turn signal does work so bulb and wiring are good
When hazards are on, right side doesnt flash
When hazards are on, and I step on the brake, the relay stops clicking.
When turn signal is on, and I step on the brakes, the turn signal works correctly.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be. I think everything goes through the turn signal switch on these trucks. I replaced one in my 88 years ago that was causing turn signal/brake light problems.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You might possibly have a bad light bulb socket. I've had them do strange things to me. They usually don't cost very much to replace.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the switch. If you have an FSM, check the way the switch is wired internally. One of the internal contacts in the switch is bad. I had the EXACT same symptoms, studied the diagram for a while, determined it was the switch. Pulled it, cleaned it up, now it works.

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the switch apart today, sho'nuff found a couple broken pieces in there. The switch came out real easily but it looks like a pain in the ass to get the connector free.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also check the bulb sockets. Mine was acting all kinds of weird.....ended up being an issue with the ground on one of the rear sockets.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they shape that connector to JUUUUUST fit through the passage in the column. At least it's that way in my '85. You just have to be patient, work slow.

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen to my fail of the week. I really like to learn **** the hard way.

The switches for tilt and non tilt columns are different. I thought mine was non tilt, I even took it apart to look for a tilting mechanism. I thought I found one, but nothing happened when I pushed on it. So I ordered the switch for a non tilt wheel, and when it got here I found it was the wrong one. So I dug into the tilting mechanism to figure out why it wont work and I really cant find anything wrong, the spring is just a lot heavier than it seems like it should be. Id have to put 50+ pounds of pressure on the lever, and I think the plastic switch assembly will break way before that.
I think the previous owner set the height with the wheel off and kept it like that forever. I think Im gonna have to do the same thing

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between the two switches? I ordered a switch for what I thought was right for my truck (non-tilt), and it's different from the original. The angle at which the stalk screws in is different, so when I install it, I can't put the stalk in. Could that be the difference between the two?

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between the two switches? I ordered a switch for what I thought was right for my truck (non-tilt), and it's different from the original. The angle at which the stalk screws in is different, so when I install it, I can't put the stalk in. Could that be the difference between the two?
the non tilt switch has 3 mounting holes, the tilt has 2.
the 2 contacts for the horn are in a slightly different spot, and will interfere with the key switch if you get the wrong one.
the quickest way to tell - the non tilt switch has a metal plate on top in the shape of a sickle. the tilt model is just all white plastic.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I found the pics on RockAuto. The switch I got is def. non-tilt then; I think they just assembled it wrong. I was going to suggest a swap, but so much for that idea...

sixb

Reaction score
My truck keeps blowing the fuse for the blinkers and the brakes. When i put new fuses in it works for a bit then blows again, also the rear right turn signal isint working when the fuse is good. My buddy also suggested the turn signal switch. is there a write up on how to fix it?

edit 88f350 idi 5spd
thanks.

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck keeps blowing the fuse for the blinkers and the brakes. When i put new fuses in it works for a bit then blows again, also the rear right turn signal isint working when the fuse is good. My buddy also suggested the turn signal switch. is there a write up on how to fix it?

edit 88f350 idi 5spd
thanks.

Theres really nothing tricky about it. just make sure you order teh right switch, as you see a few of us didnt.

Remove horn
remove steering wheel
remove all the collar like pieces that go around the steering column
remove the 2 little pieces of dashboard below the steering column
drop the steering column

now the old switch will come out. sounds time consuming but its a 10-15 minute job once you know what yorue doing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle