Brake issues

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble with my brakes. I was in a hurry last spring to get a new set of rotors and pads so i bought them from Finnish dealer and i got some Raybestos Service class (yeah, they only had the cheapest model available) parts and now after 9000 miles they are shaking while braking again. Well, they kind a have been shaking for a while now, but it's gone a little worse lately.

So my question is that can some other part cause that kind of shake under braking situation. Other than that truck runs great and no shakes at all. I doubt that this could be related to any bushings either, because recently i have changed all the bushings on the front axle, drag link bars, tie rods ends and upper and lower ball joints.

second question is:
If i have to buy another set of brake parts i want them to be good quality too, so what rotors and pads would you choose from Summit Racing's invertory, I am thinking of Hawk Performance HB336P-655 pads and Power Slot 8512PSL/R Rotors, here's the link for my model truck and brake parts at Summit:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294924761+4294908331+4294908309+4294922533+4294839902+115+4294880781

third question:
From those brake options at Summit, there is few different size available. Difference is small and does the difference on dimension matter or can i take which one i like?

Power slot rotors has outside diameter 12.600 in. and thickness 1.260 in. and that little more expensive rotor has diameter of 12.560 in. and thickness 1.236 inch, what do you think?

Thanks in advance...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup. your rotors are warped again.
couple things many people overlook when putting in new rotors.
one. the hub mating surface must be clean and free of rust.
two. new caliper hardware kits and greasing them with caliper grease makes a huge difference in how well they work.
third. if you have the phenolic caliper pistons, get rid of them. they will always fail when you need them the most.
i've been thinking about trying the more exotic rotors. I bet with those and my hydro, the stopping will be unreal.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't exactly know what you mean about phenolic pistons. While i changed my rotors i also changed the calibers to remanufactured because old ones were sticking, they are also Raybestos, but this time Professional Grade from Rockauto, http://info.rockauto.com/Raybestos/Detail.html?FRC10278-7.jpg&FRC10278-3.jpg . So does these also have those phenolic pistons and what exactly is wrong about those?

New calibers had some grease on them, so i only greased the sliding pins when i installed them.

By exotic rotors, do mean those rotors from Summit or some other ones?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online