Brake controller

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to hook up a trailer brake controller to my 94, or do I nee dto run a wire all the way back to the plug?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some trucks had the wires already run, but you have to hunt around for them under the dash. They are usually taped off under there somewhere. If you find them, the blue will run to the rear and it will be taped off under the truck near the rear bumper.

If you can't find them, then yes you will have to run a wire to the back for the trailer brakes.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easy way is seldom the right way to do things.

Consider that, even if the factory brake wires exist, they are gonna be somewhat under-sized and wimpy for the task at hand.

They skimped on the head-light wires, blower-motor wires, and everything else; I would expect no less than them also skimping on the size and quality of any factory-supplied trailer wiring. :)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory trailer wires are of adaquate size. Blue Brake 10 AWG Black or Orange B+ 10 AWG . The wires are not under the dash, front wires are wrapped in the bundle at the firewall coming from underneath, rear wires are on the drivers side in the frame, Brown Red Green Yellow and White all 14 AWG are also there. Brake controller receptacle/pluggin is in the center under the dash. This is only true if the truck came with a tow package.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory trailer wires are of adaquate size. Blue Brake 10 AWG Black or Orange B+ 10 AWG . The wires are not under the dash, front wires are wrapped in the bundle at the firewall coming from underneath, rear wires are on the drivers side in the frame, Brown Red Green Yellow and White all 14 AWG are also there. Brake controller receptacle/pluggin is in the center under the dash. This is only true if the truck came with a tow package.

The blue brake wire coming from the rear should be under the dash correct?

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '94 the plug was under the center of the dash. I just needed the adaptor cable to the controller and all the wiring appears in the rear for the plugs.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
On my '94 the plug was under the center of the dash. I just needed the adaptor cable to the controller and all the wiring appears in the rear for the plugs.

Same for my '93. The adapter plug needed to have a pin removed & put in a different spot but once I found the plug under the dash it was easy peasy. ;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I said where the wireing might be is that I had found some 94's that way.
Should have clarified that if it has the pluggin under the dash, all cab wireing will be there at the plug for the controller. You may still have to install the relays and fuses under the hood fuse box.
Sorry, was late, should have been in bed. :D

All new trucks came with the relays fuses and adapter.
RV dealers will have the adapter harness, Ford dealers also but high price. I sold them for $8.00

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The easy way is seldom the right way to do things.

Consider that, even if the factory brake wires exist, they are gonna be somewhat under-sized and wimpy for the task at hand.

They skimped on the head-light wires, blower-motor wires, and everything else; I would expect no less than them also skimping on the size and quality of any factory-supplied trailer wiring. :)

+1, I have the factory brake controller wiring but I made My own with higher gauge size wires and of course fuses.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Turns out my truck is a 93. Never noticed it.

NAPA has adaptors for 94 and up, but not 93??? I ordered the 94 unit and the plug is different. I am going to cut the plug off, just wire the wires to the same color?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Turns out my truck is a 93. Never noticed it.

NAPA has adaptors for 94 and up, but not 93??? I ordered the 94 unit and the plug is different. I am going to cut the plug off, just wire the wires to the same color?

nIf your under dash pl;ug is a 4 prong, then you are going to have a time finding that one. if you can't find it, you can take a 6 prong plug, cut off the extra 2 and rewire it to match

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
nIf your under dash pl;ug is a 4 prong, then you are going to have a time finding that one. if you can't find it, you can take a 6 prong plug, cut off the extra 2 and rewire it to match

Yeah its a four pin. The wires are color coded, I think I am just going to hard wire the controller in.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah its a four pin. The wires are color coded, I think I am just going to hard wire the controller in.

How many of the 4 pin do you want? Got some left over from my RV business. If ya ain't in a hurry I'll send you one Shipped $14. PM me your Name and Addy.

I've got em for Ford Chevy and Dodge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online