Brake controller your fav????

Psolver

Reaction score
looking to buy brake controllers for two trucks towing a 2 axle dump trailer hauling 3 yards of rock or roofing tare off?

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tekonsha Voyager. Not very expensive and easy to set. Works 1-4 axle brakes. Worked great in all the trucks I've used them in.

etrailer.com... like $80..

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like these old-school Kelsey 81741 controllers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ke...ontroller-w-Manual-And-Ford-Plug/222635749605
I've found them on basically every single old Ford I've bought.

They just plain /work/. Turn the knob on the side higher or lower depending on your load, and the inertial system does the rest.
In a panic situation, grab the manual lever and pinch it together and you'll lock the trailer brakes if you fully engage it.

I don't like the newer ones with buttons and adjustment that way, like my parents' newer Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller. Biggest POS ever.

Edit:
I think I've seen a number of the Voyager controllers as well; same deal as the Kelsey one - squeeze the trigger and a single adjustment knob.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like these old-school Kelsey 81741 controllers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ke...ontroller-w-Manual-And-Ford-Plug/222635749605
I've found them on basically every single old Ford I've bought.

They just plain /work/. Turn the knob on the side higher or lower depending on your load, and the inertial system does the rest.
In a panic situation, grab the manual lever and pinch it together and you'll lock the trailer brakes if you fully engage it.

I don't like the newer ones with buttons and adjustment that way, like my parents' newer Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller. Biggest POS ever.

Edit:
I think I've seen a number of the Voyager controllers as well; same deal as the Kelsey one - squeeze the trigger and a single adjustment knob.

Yep Voyagers are simple. No fancy buttons. Set the dial for brake power and go, slide handle for the oh **** moments.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Avoid time based ones from what I’ve read. I ordered a 90160 primus iq controller, $65 on Amazon.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Son says do not ever use time based, His fav is tekonsha voyager also, as is mine.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the hydraulically actuated ones are probably the best, as long as you don't have ABS messing with things... so on our trucks use the front brake circuit?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I think the hydraulically actuated ones are probably the best, as long as you don't have ABS messing with things... so on our trucks use the front brake circuit?

Nope, still use the rear, otherwise it'll lock up your trailer brakes too fast.
You can use the normal 81740, (the 81740C just ignores the pulse), it won't screw with your brakes until you lock 'em up hard enough to activate the RABS, and since mine is NFG, it doesn't affect me no matter what since it doesn't ever activate. LOL
I know many people using an 81740 on trucks up to '98, and the C after that.
NAPA carries the T fittings FYI.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'm unsure.
When I got one, the guy looked up the thread on a brake line fitting for the master and found it that way.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you happen to know what size threads they are? I ended up with the wrong ones for my truck and had to tap into the front brakes.

The rear is a 7/16” x24, the front is a 9/16” x18 and the cruise control pressure switch is 7/16” x24.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online