Bought a Backup truck that needs work

TooManyTrucks!

Reaction score
I paid for it already, just have to yank it home with an Eager Beaver and a borrowed dump. Anyhow, it is a 1995 GMC 3500 HD Utility truck. It has 40K original on it.

The problem is: "This truck Starts and runs with a jump, but when idling it smokes bad, and heats up quick." So what do you think it most likely could be? The reason I ask is this is my first 6.5L ever, and perhaps I could fix this with a friend and save some dough. He has high mechanical skills, drives Diesels, etc...

My guess is the headgaskets?

It has a Under Deck Air Compressor
Hydraulic Lines
12V Electric Outlets
Outside Work Lights
Aluminum Roll Up Door
Ladder Racks
Walk In Utility
Almost Brand New Tires!
The walkin Utility Body is 11' with a 2' extension work bumper. 7'10" wide with a height of 10'3".

We normally just have Econoline Vans and like them, but I wanted something to be a Mule to work from and tow almost anything behind it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site!;Sweet
do this test....
when the motor is cold, fire it up and see how quickly the rdiator hose pressurizes. cracked head are notorious on these trucks. good news is brand new assys are avail, thanks to uncle sugar's hummer fleet.

TooManyTrucks!

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.

If the heads are cracked, is there some specific replacement model year/engine code one to get, as to not make matters worse? Or is all really the same?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.

If the heads are cracked, is there some specific replacement model year/engine code one to get, as to not make matters worse? Or is all really the same?
it's only one choice for the 6.5 heads as far as new. if you want to get your rebuilt, make sure the shop can handle the crack repair before dropping them off. most shops have no clue on how to do it right. there's a special tool involved.