boost

stroke_smoke

Reaction score
does anyone know how much boost a stock '00 psd runs? i normaly run 2 psi @1700 rpm goin 55 mph in o/d. does that sound right? oh, it has never gone past 12 psi even mashin it from a stop. wasup?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Your number seem a little low for the maximum... A 00 truck should produce around 15-18psi... I've heard of some guys with as much as 20 on a stock truck... but its not common... my truck stock produced right around 15-17 on average.

You may have a high pressure leak... your intercooler boots may be leaking at pressure or your wastegate may be letting open early...

stroke_smoke

Reaction score
i've went around and snuged up the clamps. they werent lose. could this cause my truck to be gutless? it just has no power. i bought the truck used and its alwasys been that way. its my first diesel and i figured the no "giddy up" was normal. if use the programmer (predator) it runs bout 10-15 psi.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
If your using a tuner you should be seeing much more... like 20-25....

Have you looked at the turbo fins...? It sounds like you may have a dusted turbo wheel..... you should be building more boost than that... and yes it would cause the truck to feel gutless....

You may also still have a leak... you can build your own pressure tool with a pvc endcap and a valve stem to add pressure... you just clamp it to the end of your air filter hose... there have been guys in the past that swore they didn't have a leak but as soon as they pressurized the system they found the leak right away. I wouldn't rule out a leak... also there is a way to turn up the pressure on the wastegate so it holds closed tighter.... but I don't have the specs on how to do that... seems like you just adjust the nut to tighten it up.. but I am not real sure how that works.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
A diesel with a good tuner is like a big sports car... they have lots of power .... Even with my 37's and an automatic tranny I can still bark the tires when it shifts to second when I'm ******* the thottle... you should have lots of power...

stroke_smoke

Reaction score
well i did the pressure test dealand it wont hold air. but i dint hear it leaking. do you test it w/ the breather pluged or no? also since i tested it with the breather as is, wouldnt the air pressure from the shop compressor leak out it? oh and my boost gauge didnt move at all. :confused:

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Stroke,

I am not sure what you mean...

you take a pvc cap... put an air valve in it...

remove the hose from the air filter and put the pvc cap in place and tighten it down... then pressurize the system... about 5-10 psi is all you need. It should hold air for a short while but if its going down as fast as you put it in then you have a pretty big leak.

If you do this and it doesn't leak then you can check your Exhaust back pressure valve... EBPV ... sometimes they can stick partially closed and cause problems.

stroke_smoke

Reaction score
ok i got it figured out. i was talkin bout the elbow on the intake that goes to the valve cover. any way it held pressure, bout 10 psi. do you know where that exhaust valve is?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stroke_smoke said:
do you know where that exhaust valve is?

The EBPV is located right at the turbo outlet exhaust side.

stroke_smoke

Reaction score
well the clamps for the Y pipe to heads were good for bout 3 turns a piece. aint drove yet. it took about 4 seconds for it lose pressure. still got a leak?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Those y pipes could be your problem... Let us know after you drive it. Also have you checked your boost guage line... I have heard of guys that have had issues and it was the line for the boost guage itself...

I would also check the EBPV ... it may be partialy closed. As 95 said... its on the exit side of the turbo... the downpipe conects to it. If its partially closed not all the air can escape as quickly so you produce less power... You should be able to disconnect the accuator bar that moves it and then cycle it by hand... A lot of people remove it totally ... myself included... but if you live where its cold, then you may not want to since it helps to warm the engine sooner...

could you hear where the air was leaking from? also did you look at the fins on the turbo? check for wear... if the truck was ran in a extreme dusty area and wasn't taken care of it may have tore up the fins....

I forgot to mention but you can see where you've been leaking on your turbo because of all the oil ... where ever there is blowby on the tubes you can bet they have been leaking from that spot... make sure to clean it up and what to see if its still leaking....

stroke_smoke

Reaction score
as far as i could tell(hear) it was leaking at the pas. side boot on the y. the boost gauge may be alot of the prob. ive put some plumbers putty on,not a lot just 'nuff but it still seems loose to me. but i dont want to strip it out. its on the intercooler pipe 3 or 4" from the turbo. the turbo wheel looked ok to me. and the valley is covered in oil, is there a way to clean it out w/o shorting anything out? i live in S.W ohio so think it would be good idea to leave the ebpv as is. but i will check it. is it possible the prev. owner had the boost cut back for some reason? chip proggramer etc.? i dont know. give things to try and i'll do it. thanks for the help so far dieselmaster & 95. :thanks:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online