Bombing a F450...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my customers has a '99 F450 CC with a service body on the back. his empty is 10k and is his own truck. he's outside of the warranty period, so now I can't hide from doing the mods. Any of you guys with F450's got any suggestions? I've ditched the muffler many moons ago and the kitty is gone. I'm looking at the ATS modified compressor bell and am looking for suggestions on the chip.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See my signature. Check the mods I did.

Biggest problem is the 4.88 rear. It won't let the motor load-up like a 3.73 rear.

He can make it much more powerful with just a chip & downpipe/exhaust.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply!
Silly question.....what was your mileage before the mods and after the mods? He was at 10 and dropped to 8 now, so he wants to get back this mileage, the midrange "flutter" and twist up yet another driveshaft :mad: If it wasn't for the fact that his whole fleet has been my "baby" for the last ten years, I would have told him to hit the road a long time ago.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't believe this, but my mileage only dropped ~.5 MPG.

I get 10 around town, 12 Highway.

Could be his driving habits. Once you get the extra power, you really want to use it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd doubt you've turned your driveshafts into pretzels. This guys has. twice. You'd think he would have learned the first time. cookoo His feul bill is getting him to adjust his driving habits tho :D

wftree

Reaction score
Start with guages!!! read my signature. It all works very well together. Change the gears to 4.30 is my next step unless I can afford a USGear 2 speed

WFTREE

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't understand the driveshaft issue. My truck dynoed 447 RWHP with a moderate shot of propane and ~400 on #2 only. I gotta think with my mods I'm making at least 40% more HP than your friend. I used to drive it all out and never hurt anything.

My truck is 6 years old now and going stronger than ever. I haul 4+ ton loads in the dumpbed with no problems at all. I wonder if it's the length of it. Is it a 2 piece with a center bearing?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
I can't understand the driveshaft issue. My truck dynoed 447 RWHP with a moderate shot of propane and ~400 on #2 only. I gotta think with my mods I'm making at least 40% more HP than your friend. I used to drive it all out and never hurt anything.

My truck is 6 years old now and going stronger than ever. I haul 4+ ton loads in the dumpbed with no problems at all. I wonder if it's the length of it. Is it a 2 piece with a center bearing?
Here's a small description of what he does with the truck.....
old mobliehomes are pulled out of the spaces with the truck. with the home on the hitch, he invariably will hit some soft stuff, ie. famous claifornia clay mud. He'll power through the stuff and eventually hit dry ground again. you can use your imagination on the rest. my local driveshaft shop loves him :D

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell him to use low range to reduce wheel spin and take it easy on the pedal.

Guy sounds like a real leadfoot. LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
Tell him to use low range to reduce wheel spin and take it easy on the pedal.

Guy sounds like a real leadfoot. LOL
He's only a 2wd(thank god) and his driving habits have been tempered by breakages and feul costs. Good thing is he's breaking things less since I got him into a F450 back in '02. he was really killing chevies before that. We moved a 30' office trailer back in '01(got pics somewhere) and he was sold on the stoutness of a F450 since then. And yes, I know that was totally illegal, I supassed all the big "O"'s.........

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh hah! That's part of the problem: He's pushing all his TQ through the rear driveshaft. When you have a 4x4 and you're pulling off road, you can split the torque load to the front axle, so long as you're in 4x4.