Body Swap - 9th Gen body on a 87 F350 Frame

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86' has a spongy body on it that I want to replace with a 90's body if I can. Has anyone swapped body's over successfully? The running gear and frame in the one ton is fine, everything is legit - but the floors are soft, the fender-wells are gone, and the windows are slow as molasses in January.

I've always liked the ninth gen F150's - but maybe because my first vehicle was my F150.

Regardless - the thought is to go out West and find a clean body for the one ton. How much work is it to swap everything over?

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bed is easier than pie.

Cab is semi easy.

2 main harness trunks at firewall
Strip down front clip
Replace cabs
Can and has been done in one 6 hour fast paced day with 2 guys working. Both guys were mechanics but were not 100 percent familiar with the trucks. Both were 5spd manual trucks.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, cool. Good to know - would I be swapping everything from one truck over to the other? Core supports, radiators and wiring? I'm probably going to find the parts I need at a junkyard - so I'm just trying to get a grasp on what I'll need to grab.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, cool. Good to know - would I be swapping everything from one truck over to the other? Core supports, radiators and wiring? I'm probably going to find the parts I need at a junkyard - so I'm just trying to get a grasp on what I'll need to grab.
If you can find a good diesel body with a bad drivetrain, then swap everything over, that would probably be the easiest way. If you get parts from various trucks, you'll want a core support and wiring harness out of an IDI truck (the g@$ and PSD harnesses are too different, and it'll be much easier than trying to adapt your current wiring harness over, and IIRC the PSD core support is different and the g@$ core support is definitely different), but otherwise the sheet metal can pretty much come from any '92-'97 truck.

Assuming you have the tall/narrow radiator (most trucks after '87 did, but there are some exceptions), the radiators are the same, so if the donor truck has a bad radiator and your truck has a good radiator, that's okay.

I don't know what transmission you have, but if you have a manual and the donor truck's an auto (or vice-versa), you'll need to source a different brake/clutch pedal assembly. The brake/clutch pedal assemblies are completely different between the years; OTOH IIRC you can still buy an OBS pedal assembly new if needed...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online