Body lifts: Which one? How do they work? How much?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have been reading on the forum here that people say a 2" body kit would make working on the engines in these trucks a whole lot easier when a turbo is involved. SO. Here's what Im thinking. Im getting VERY anxious to get started on this truck. So I may start with replacing the body mounts.
But I dont really understand how a body lift works. Do they completely replace the factory body mounts, or do they stack on top of the old body mounts?
If they stack on top, then I'll have to replace the old rubber mounts, and I'll probably go with a polyurethane kit.
I dont want my truck to be stupid high, so 2" is really all I want to go.
Where can I get a decent body lift kit from?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unnecessary in my opinion. I just have the Polyurethane mounts on my truck, and they lifted the body back up to the right position. The saggy old rubber mounts had let the cab droop about an inch- which was noticable at the body line where the cab and bed meet.

I flattened the pinch weld on the firewall with a cutoff wheel and a big pry bar, and haven't had any trouble working on my turbo at all.

Usually, body lifts result in fan-to-shroud clearance issues, shifter issues, wiring issues, bumper fit issues, and extra leverage on the mounts where it otherwise wouldn't be. Also, they lift the bed floor up off the frame, which takes away from the strength in the bed.

I agree they have a time and a place, but I don't like them on a daily driven truck.

Just my $.02

Ryan

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Ryan.
To be honest. Im thinking it would probably make my truck sit too high for my taste when Im finished anyway. My front leafs are 5ers and the back set are an F350 set with over loads on them and Im going to swap in a bump stop F250 lift block on top of the rear axle tubes as well.
It sure wont sit like a 2x4 anymore, thats for sure! lol

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its worth your while to change out the old rubber mounts to new polyurethane while you have the mounts apart anyway. Some body mount kits come with brackets to raise your bumpers If available for the year of your truck or you will have to make your own. If you want the cheap Canadian way to do a body lift you can use hockey pucks.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The energy suspension poly bushing kit from Summit is the one I installed. They're pretty nice, but are noticeably stiffer than the stock rubber bushings. I'd start with some new poly bushings and go from there. If you decided that you really wanted a little extra lift, you will be able to install it easily after replacing the old rusty bolts anyway..

Ryan

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
hmm, i wasnt really interested in a body lift anyway and i know all about em (helped install my fair share), but if one would make it easier then why not. but i guess it isnt really nesseccary and my truck clears 35" tires stock so its fairly high as is LOL.

IMO though, poly bushings will make the ride stiffer and have a tendecy to squeak if not properly lubricated. but, i would in all reality use poly for the body myself and keep the rubber bushings on the suspension.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
IMHO Working on the turbo on a body lifted truck is going to be almost as much of a PITA as one that isnt lifted. FYI My truck doesnt have any sort of lift, and I can work on the turbo parts, its just not fun :D

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2" body lift on my truck and I really like the room it created to work on things. The kit I bought came with the steering shaft extension and all the hardware, it was easy to install (I did it myself in one day). I did have to trim the lower fan shroud but I wasn't that upset as I plan on electric fans eventually. There was one area I had to clearance with a pry bar where the driver's exhaust manifold was really close to the firewall, but all in all I've been very happy with it. I am planning on putting in some 2" square tubing in between the bed and frame rails just to give me some added insurance, but the mounts themselves looked pretty stout.

Just my .02.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made my own out of 1 inch aluminum, on top of new poly mounts, a little more noise but it is a diesel crew cab so??? made lots of things nicer to fit . also the bumper raised right up on the slots.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2" body lift on my truck and I really like the room it created to work on things. The kit I bought came with the steering shaft extension and all the hardware, it was easy to install (I did it myself in one day). I did have to trim the lower fan shroud but I wasn't that upset as I plan on electric fans eventually. There was one area I had to clearance with a pry bar where the driver's exhaust manifold was really close to the firewall, but all in all I've been very happy with it. I am planning on putting in some 2" square tubing in between the bed and frame rails just to give me some added insurance, but the mounts themselves looked pretty stout.

Just my .02.

thats what I want to figure out.... lack of bed support does bother me. I dont haul often, but when I do, the loader will drop buck of rock in the bed and dont need any waves like the ocean.