Blower Motor?

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only blows on high. I just replaced the switch (start with the cheap fix first) Still only blows on high. Blower Motor is my next guess. Could it be anything else?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. It probably is the motor resister located in the fan blower motor duct. Sometimes when the motor draws more amps as the bearings are failing the resister fails. To get the resister out you have to remove the motor from the engine bay. Its three tiny bolts and one wire. Its found on the passenger side of the firewall connected to the ac heater ducts.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said the resister is ford only part number being 4c2z-19a706-aa that's ford part bought yesterday under my account only 28 idk about you an blower motor oriellys was about 31 bucks took less than a hour for both. Replaced

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the resister at o/rielys for 25 and the motor for 35. Dont wanna replace things I dont need, just try to isolate one or the other.

Reaction score
It's the resistor. The resistor works by stepping down the voltage for the lower speeds. Usually this is done with different coils that cause varying amount of resistance. High speed passes straight through. When the coils burn out only high works. Every time a customer calls complaining of high speed only, I already know what the diag will be.

Still not sure? Grab a voltmeter and check it.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well exactly what icanfixall said is what happens I just replaced them yesterday cheaped out an got resiter an put it in then had to go back for the motor. either way electric things are like dominos one falls and watch out rest our on its way I have a complete new a/c now pig tails an all.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Whatever you end up replacing I hope you don't end up with more issues. I think replacing the resister is the way to go but... Make sure when the blower motor is off the truck you check it out for tight bearings or ruff turning. They do not last forever. The Crown Vic motor is the better motor...

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, a crown Vic blower motor is better? I ask because it seems like my blower is a little slow. Nice cold air, and blows on all speeds, but it would be nicer if it blew a little harder. Going to the salvage yard tomorrow, so I could pick one up cheap from a C Vic and give it a shot. I bet I need to clean the ductwork too.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hasn't the crown vic been built for more years and more body styles than these ? Can anyone narrow it down? For the money, I sure would like more air flow

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the resister, and its working just fine. Like icanfixall said, fingers are crossed on the rest. Took the Switch back to orielys. Figure the motor and switch will go out in the next couple of months. lol I am interested in this CVic blower talk, what year works?

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would like to know about the crown vic blower motor also mine still works fine but seems like it just dont do the job... a more cfm fan would be nice

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Id be interested to know more about this crown vic blower and if it really does move more air or if it's imaginary. I looked up on Napas site and they appear to have the same motor, just a different mounting flange, but that wouldnt be a first time that an aftermarket supplier tried to keep stock costs down by cutting invintory part numbers just because they *look* the same. I remember getting a replacement blower for a mid 80s mercury wagon and that thing wouldnt move enough air for just the front 2 seats, I found a blower off a Lincoln at the boneyard and popped it on there and turned it into a rolling refrigerator. I think blower motors are one thing where you actually come out ahead buying used so long as you make sure to get a factory part