Blind Driver's Crazy Crack at Making WMO for Fuel

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to get on the WMO wagon.

Thing I have learned...

Beware of the water for which you will eventually receive. I will be changing over to a clear suction line soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

How I help my 'fuge and heater expel the steam. I eventually want to make a waterfall out of sheetmetal. I figure it may work better.

My sludge removal machine ;Sweet

The open bowl super duper cleaning unit :hail

The processing center. I'm geared up to start my own co-op :sly

The mop & bucket comes in handy ;p

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started with a 50/50 WMO and K1 and it went perfectly.
W.
I then switch my batch to 66%. The first two tanks worked perfectly too. I made my third 66% batch and noticed sputtering and sometimes sudden acceleration like I was running out of fuel. It didn't happen often, but I was concerned.

I mixed my fourth batch of 66%. It seems to be getting worse. When I switch back to my diesel tank, all returns to normal.

All the WMO came from the same barrel, mixed with 33% K1 from the same station into a 15 gallon barrel, then swished back and forth to mix it up. I also add 1 oz of Super Tech 2 stroke oil for additional lubrication.

Could water cause these issues? When the temp gets below 60 I notice the engine idles a bit rough, but after work in the afternoon, everything was fine except for the last two batches.

According to my advanced S.W.A.G. viscosity readings, My 66% batch is about 16% thicker then D2.
I may 'fuge the remaining WMO that is left in the barrel just to see if there's any water.

Last edited:

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory lift pump and factory fuel injection pump. I have a Moose and bb codes awaiting transplantation ;Really

I had stalling problem at idle yesterday for one minute at most, but the engine would rev easily. I never switched tanks. It cleared on it's own.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Factory lift pump and factory fuel injection pump. I have a Moose and bb codes awaiting transplantation ;Really

I had stalling problem at idle yesterday for one minute at most, but the engine would rev easily. I never switched tanks. It cleared on it's own.

You may want to consider an electric pump that can handle the WMO blend. I ran roughly 25k miles of WMO blend in my IDI w/ the mechanical lift pumps, and overall it did it fine. I did noticed the occasional surge like you mention. No more issues w/ the electric pump and I run much heavier WMO blends.
Unless your getting a noticeable smoke cloud at all throttle settings I don't think its a water in fuel issue. The funky idle at cooler temps like you mention are likely just the WMO blend on a cold engine.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time I noticed any excessive smoke was this morning. It poured out like a haze. I just expect each batch to be the same, when it's mixed the same, coming from the same barrel :dunno

I am looking for a electric pump. Apparently the Holley pumps are marginal junk.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to check out some of the high flow filers and heads that are on high flow fuel pump. I may even get a filter that is extra long to help reduce the pressure.

I'm also going to check out fuel pressure senders. Will most likely be electric so I can install it in the cab next to my pyro and boost :slyguages

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out GenLighting, he sells a Carrier pump that is used on refrig units on semi trailers.
It can pull fuel from a long distance, 8-10 feet I think. I've had one for about a month.(working good so far) These pumps are sensitive to thick fuel.
Morning temps and wmo fuel can be a little tricky, I noticed that cold engines tend to run a little rough.(even if the outside temp is higher)
If you can start on "regular" fuel and then switch when the engine warms up, that would help the rough starts.
Good job on the wmo setup. The coop thing could work. They bring the wmo, you process it and send back a useable fuel, for IDI diesel anyway.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you do release that the fuel in your tank is getting slightly thicker each time unless you run it dry each time.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you do realize that the fuel in your tank is getting slightly thicker each time unless you run it dry each time.

Or thinner :D

This is why I want to mount my auxiliary tank in the bed soon. It's a ****** fuel tank that has a upper pickup and a drain in the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the problem of alternate fuel getting mixed with the "clean" fuel was found out reading about guys running wvo in really cold temps and ending up with a tank full jelly.
I put in a third tank and a three way valve on the main fuel line and the return line.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Save yourself some headache, I have run carters, facets and Holley pumps. Non of those little guys can handle real WMO mixes well, my carter was the best overall. I would have been ahead to just use the pump wmoguy used. I am still stubbern and want to use my powersteering pump but don't have time to mess with it. Maybe after I finish my water injection, hopefully today.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My latest blend was 80/10/10. My engine runs perfect, but the smoke and obnoxious smell is annoying.

I'm blaming the RUG. I mixed in a 80/20 blend, but the exhaust is still the same nastyness. I need to hook up my auxiliary tank so I can drain it in the event of another nasty batch.

Last edited:

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try diesel instead of rug then see what the exhaust smells like. I'm willing to bet that the wmo and the crap it still contains is what is causing the smell. The higher the percentage the stronger the stench. That's why I try to only burn wmo on the highway. The smell can't travel faster than the truck.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be the ethonal in the rug.

I just got moose pumped and pbb code injectors. Have to get it timed. I'm installing the Pyro tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle