Blew up my truck.... Time for a Cummins I think

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's likely 10,000,000 P7100 B series cummins engines running around out there with electric shutoff solenoids with zero issue. The stupid things fail OFF. I've heard many people complain about the cost of the shutoff solenoids, I've personally done manual shutoffs because I didn't want to buy the solenoid, but never, ever have I heard of this for a runaway situation.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently I know of the only 2 Dodges in history that would've completely ran away and crashed had it not been for the manual override.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Taking pictures isn't my thing, but here's some I have on the computer. There's a 4BT into a friends 94 F250, My '70 before tearing it apart to frame off and install the 4.5/ZF and the last two are of the 4BT/M5R2 71 I recently sold.

That orange/red ford...was that on craigslist a while back? I think I saw it if it was. Great looking truck ;Sweet

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That orange/red ford...was that on craigslist a while back? I think I saw it if it was. Great looking truck ;Sweet

It was on craigslist, it sold a couple months ago. The new owner lives in Sublimity.

How in the world do you crash a truck with a runaway engine? I'm just curious here because this blows my mind that this is such an enormous issue for you.

Please carefully walk us all through exactly how in the friggin world an engine running away has ZERO impact on a vehicle crashing into something????? I've raced a lot of stuff and had many different rigs, driven lots of things in lots of situations. I've had throttles stick wide open on me with engines with lots of power and guess what? There's a friggin clutch, a shifter, a brake and a key switch any one of which except the brake pedal will stop the situation in .2 seconds. The clutch pedal stops a vehicle instantly as does the shifter on an auto.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, my intent is to build this truck to kick **** at the track... i think i could kick some serious butt with 5.13's and 36s up to about 80mphcookoo

this is my daily driver/ pulling truck....

btw, i think i read somewhere that the fuel solenoids need a 35amp relay, is this correct:confused:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
yup, my intent is to build this truck to kick **** at the track... i think i could kick some serious butt with 5.13's and 36s up to about 80mphcookoo

this is my daily driver/ pulling truck....

btw, i think i read somewhere that the fuel solenoids need a 35amp relay, is this correct:confused:

Not sure about the relay, but a plate, stiffer valvesprings and a 4000rpm gsk should see you to at least 100mph. And it'll still be nice to drive.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Dustin,

Is your 4BT Expedition 4wd? I have a couple of Expeditions and that sounds like a fun
swap. If there is a thread on it point me to it. (or start one) Thanks.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The expiration (as my girlfriend calls it) is in progress. There isn't a build thread and there may not be one.

To be frank the expedition is a vehicle that I would never own, but circumstances dictate it and it does fine. It will never be a vehicle I'm proud of and will be a product of yankee engineering- whatever is laying about will go into keeping it alive.

I prefer single cab pickups, but $500 expeditions do fall into your lap now and again and it's best to make the best of the situation. Toss a spare cummins in it, straight axle it and hope your girlfriend doesn't roll it.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Well of you are embarrassed by it, email me some pics of under the hood and underneath it. :D I have a 98 4x4 Expedition with a little over 100k on the clock, it hadn't even crossed my mind to be a candidate for a swap. Thanks.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Capitan, I see you once lived in Sidney Montana. Did you know any Unruh's? The reason i ask is because my grandpa is an Unruh and grew up in Bloomfield. Just Curious.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Rusty,

I owned a home in Fairview,MT pop 760 and didnt know anybody but my 1 neighbor. They didn't like us southern boys up there and I would regularly remind them that TN was a state in the union long before Lewis and Clark ever came up there and F***ed all them Indians. My wife is from there and I will ask her.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's ok it really doesn't make a hill of beans worth of difference to me, i was just curious.