Blazer won't start

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a call tuesday from a friend of a friend who can't get his blazer started after running out of fuel. I figure sure I can handle that. I get there and find that it's a 1982 n/a 6.2 . First thing I did was ask how much fuel was in the tank and he said he put 5 gallons while trying to get it running. So I crack loose some lines at the injectors and tell him to turn it over a while. Didn't see any fuel. I pulled the stanadyne box filter off the firewall and it wal full of fuel. I blew through the hole without resistance. I disconnected a line at the fuel pump and it sprayed. Disconnected the filter to injection pump and got spray. I loosened the air bleed line and fuel squirted out so I used a little to prime the engine without success. Used my sentra to pull start the blazer at 20 mph in second gear for over a mile. I thought it was gonna light off a few times but it didn't. Tried starting fluid and only once did it almost fire. I cracked the fuel lines again and no fuel. The injection pump clicks inside when I tested it with battery voltage. I don't what else to do without removing the injection pump. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Check the fuel pumps. Not uncommon for the lift pump to stop working. Same thing happened to what's his name over at whatever the name of that site is that I won't mention. Turned out to be a lift pump.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested the fuel pump and got good flow through it. Fuel also flows through the filter unrestricted. I had also disconnected the return hoses from the front 2 injectors 1 at a time and saw fuel coming back from the tube that runs up the injection pump? It wasn't alot of fuel just a trickle.

12vctd

Reaction score
make sure the red wire on the inj pump is hooked up. Also did you bleed the air from the fuel filter housing by turning the plastic screw? Are the glowplugs cycling 6.2's hate to start without them? Whats the exhaust smell as your turing it over? I am sure I can help but I need alittle more info.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both wires on the inj pump are connected and they click. The glow plugs are on a button and the owner was barely pressing it like it cycles or something. Apparently it started like that before he ran out of fuel. I had him hold the button for 8-10 seconds but the actual problen is not getting the fuel to the injectors. I did purge the air from the filter by turning the screw. I should be getting fuel to the inj pump. I'm now wondering if the fuel shutoff valve is stuck even though I can hear the solenoid.

12vctd

Reaction score
crack the inj lines fuel should be present with truck cranking not a trickle. But most 6.2's once the pump have fuel they will bleed out quickly. I would really wonder if the inj pump still has air in it or the shut off solenoid is stuck.

rodman68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a suggestion when I had problems with my 7.3 idi, I know not the same engine but the same mechanical design. It wouldnt run I unhooked fuel line before and after filter and noticed fuel was coming out so at that time thought the fuel pump was ok. Well that was wrong I was told on this site to hookup a pressure gauge, and guess what no pressure it would go up to about 1-2lbs and drop to nothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online