Black truck cold start

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin that doesn't sound so bad that I would expect it to be low compression. How does it run once it gets going? How about if you plug in the block heater? If the timing were way off or if there was air intrusion that could also cause this problem. Hot wiring those glow plugs made it impossible for me to tell how long they were staying on. How long of a glow time are we talking? I assume you have them wired to a manual switch in which case you know as well or better than I do how long they should stay on, if not and it's the 87 and up factory system, you should see them on 7-10 seconds in warm weather and much longer when the engine is cold in cold weather.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
To start with, its not spinning fast enough, i can count the revolutions, test the battries cables and check the starter out, next you can crank on them a little longer than that, that wasnt a very bad start honestly, i thinnk if you get it cranking faster it will be better, the running ruff could be injectors not popping correctly or it could be air intrusion or low compression but more than likely air intrusion or the injectors may be worn

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
In 50 degree weather in my old black truck with one bad glowplug it didn't start near that easy lol.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
In 50 degree weather in my old black truck with one bad glowplug it didn't start near that easy lol.

I have never seen many 7.3 that start very good, all the 6.9's i have owned start geat but my 89 never cranks good with the glow plugs even at 100 degrees, but it has origaal pump and injectors

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Not talking about the start itself, battery cables are a must, they are horrible. Just that one cylinder itself. Runs fine when warm. Timing is probably off, smokes all the time (grey), even a slight haze at hot idle.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Not talking about the start itself, battery cables are a must, they are horrible. Just that one cylinder itself. Runs fine when warm. Timing is probably off, smokes all the time (grey), even a slight haze at hot idle.

Ok that tells me what i wanted to here, narrow it down to the actual cylinder, then when you find out which one it is, swap that injector with one from another cylinder, if the miss moves to the other cylinder then its the injector not the cylinder;Sweet

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribed to your channel ;Sweet
I second what dyoung said, that's pretty much the easiest thing to try right now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a bad injector... You really need to "fix" the glow plug system wireing. Thats just not right like that... There isn't any problem using a push button but the lite is bothering me seeing it on when it should be off and off when it should be on.... The last thing you need is to burn out the plugs... that can end up causing the heads to come off to remove the burned out and swollen tips...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The slight haze is usually bad injetors, bad pump, or timing. If it's sat on your property owner's farm for a long time and it's not street legal, it may even have huge vomitus clumps of black algae hanging out in the tanks, or just old bad fuel. Maybe it just needs to get out on the road and run hard with some fuel additive and that would clean it up. Also fixing the positive cables is a must, lots of resistance means lots of heat and could mean a fire. Besides it'll never spin fast with shot cables, it's amazing how much difference that one little thing makes.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Truck has been run semi constantly, does sit for a few weeks but then gets run. Yes the wiring on te relay will be switched, but the only thing wired up wrong is the WTS light, it's on a terminalthat always ground unless power is applied, hence the WTS light us always on.

If it's an injectorthat would be nice, easy fix.

We are going to do welding cable battery cables, trying to keep fixing the truck on the cheap.

I've been driving it since my truck went done.

crazy4wdracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It made a huge difference when I put new battery cables and terminals on my Powerstroke.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes I know, battery cables are shot. This trucks wiring was hacked all to hell, its taken a lot of time to get it back to factory basically. Needs battery cables (as it was turning over fine until we took the positives off the batteries, seems like the drivers side battery isnt contributing anymore).

Yet, it still starts.

And......

Its missing on a cylinder. A slow start wouldnt have anything to do with that cylinder, that particular cylinder is missing for a reason. Low compression, bad injector, bad timing, bad glow plug wiring...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin does the low cylinder come on once you have her up an running? It could be a little low on compression but hopefully it's the injector.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online