Black Smoke

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unlike some other Diesel people, I dont want the black smoke coming from my tail pipe. I have some black smoke coming from the tail pipe when I step on it. Is this normal or should I turn the pump down some, and how much. Its not real think smoke, but at the price of DIESEL, I dont want to waste ANY.

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff Dodson said:
Unlike some other Diesel people, I dont want the black smoke coming from my tail pipe.

AW MAN, I just re-read my post, I did not mean to sound like an ASS, I just dont like wasted fuel $$$$$$$$$

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Have you filled in your signature, Jeff? We need to know if your running a turbo, do you have a 6.9 or a 7.3, etc. Smoke when starting out is normal and it depends on how hard you get on it. If it's just a puff then clears up, very normal. If you're runnin' a turbo then the smoke will last until the boost catches up with the fuel from the IP and burns all of the fuel. Black smoke equals more fuel than air and if you have constant smoke than you have an airflow issue. How is your air filter? If it's getting old than that could be your problem. Other wise that puff isn't wasting anything and it cuts down on soccer moms tailgating you! :D

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
If its a turbo, just try pressing the fuel peddel down more slowly. Don't snap in down in a hurry, but smoothly push it down so the turbo can keep up with the fuel.

If its not turbo'd you can either turn the pump down or just refrain from going full throttle:) End result is the same, all the fuel screw really does is limit the amout of fuel flow at full throttle.

Of course this is all assuming the truck has properly functioning intake and exhaust, if either is restricted that could be your problem.

good luck