Black Smoke, Surging, Power Loss

Reaction score
Over the past couple of weeks, my 2004 6.0 has been blowing black smoke and surging. When the black smoke appears i'm having power loss. I noticed today a correlation that it seems to happen only when the fuel gauge shows around 1/4 of a tank remaining.

I have my Scan Gauge II set to read BST and I am noticing a flucuation in the Boost Pressure on the turbo. After I fueled up I didnt sem to have any surging nor black smoke. I polished, cleaned and anti-siezed the turbo about 22K miles ago. The fuel filters were changed 700 miles ago. Is there a fuel pump in the fuel tank that could be going bad causing it to not operate properly when the fuel tank is low?

Help with any ideas

Reaction score
I removed and cleaned the EGR valve. It may have still been sticking after that but it worked fine after the cleaning. It's a moot point now as the tranny croaked on me about 600 miles out from home. I traded on a F150 4WD Off Road EcoBoost Supercrew.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cleaning doesnt fix allthe EGR valves. Plenty of other times, they still will be bad. I would say the same thing, EGR valve failed.

A side note, Ford and International both recommend not using anti seize on the VGT vanes during a cleaning, though I personally do not think it will hurt a thing, I think after a few miles it will just burn up, have you cracked her open since the cleaning to see if these still anti seize in there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online