Black Goo of Death

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Yes biobor is good stuff. used it on the boats for years and never had a problem. I would "shock" the system (read the instructions for the ratio) and buy a case of filters and put them in the cab. As the biocide kills the algae its going to clog up the filter, so even if you pump the tank all the leftover algae will still breed and make more goo. Shock the tank a couple of fill ups then if you are not changing filters like you change shirts then run the "maintenance" level.

As far as the old fuel- use it in tiki torches, as paint thinner to clean brushes(if you can even buy alkyd paint out there), start charcoal bbq with it, start a fireplace, or mix it with WMO and take it to the dump (they wouldnt know the difference).

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
This is the same thing that plugged my filter, and killed my rebuilt IP that was like watching 500 dollars burn up in smoke;Really,

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
replace the filter! why even waste the time and risk running that through the injection pump?! you should have thrown that thing away right after finding that crap in there!

i hav replaced the filter and i have yet to put the newest one in yet, but im gonna get a few filters and start the long arduous process of cleaning

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hav replaced the filter and i have yet to put the newest one in yet, but im gonna get a few filters and start the long arduous process of cleaning

I put a DE-BUG unit on mine and have had no more problems since it's install about three years or so ago.

With the DE-BUG, I was able to just run the fuel through.

My system = first in line is a GoldenRod filter/sediment-bowl = I wouldn't be without it.

Second is a LUCAS glass-bottom water-separator = I can actually see any water in the bowl.

Third is the genuine New-Zealand DE-BUG magnetic bacteria-killing unit = it works --- PERIOD.

Fourth and just ahead of the piston-lift-pump is a simple see-thru inline filter to catch anything that would otherwise clog the screen in the pump inlet.

Fifth and just ahead of the injector-pump is the main fuel-filter; in my case = FleetGuard FS1221.

The main fuel-filter has not needed replacement since the addition of the DE-BUG unit and fuel-pressure maintains a steady 14- to 15-PSI.

You will soon bankrupt yourself trying to fight "algae" with only the expensive main fuel-filter to catch the stuff.

Even if you are able to kill the stuff with bio-cide treatments, it is still going to be inside the tanks for many years to come.

I can dump and rinse the bowls on the GoldenRod and LUCAS without spending a cent. ;Sweet

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I put a DE-BUG unit on mine and have had no more problems since it's install about three years or so ago.

With the DE-BUG, I was able to just run the fuel through.

My system = first in line is a GoldenRod filter/sediment-bowl = I wouldn't be without it.

Second is a LUCAS glass-bottom water-separator = I can actually see any water in the bowl.

Third is the genuine New-Zealand DE-BUG magnetic bacteria-killing unit = it works --- PERIOD.

Fourth and just ahead of the piston-lift-pump is a simple see-thru inline filter to catch anything that would otherwise clog the screen in the pump inlet.

Fifth and just ahead of the injector-pump is the main fuel-filter; in my case = FleetGuard FS1221.

The main fuel-filter has not needed replacement since the addition of the DE-BUG unit and fuel-pressure maintains a steady 14- to 15-PSI.

You will soon bankrupt yourself trying to fight "algae" with only the expensive main fuel-filter to catch the stuff.

Even if you are able to kill the stuff with bio-cide treatments, it is still going to be inside the tanks for many years to come.

I can dump and rinse the bowls on the GoldenRod and LUCAS without spending a cent. ;Sweet

I cant remember which post it ws but IIRC you had been talking about the goldenrod setup before, after i read that i have been planning out a new setup with and Aftermarket Elec pump and Water fuel sep and so on and so forth, where did you get that DE BUG thing from any way?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This last trip out was the first long trip I've been able to use my bed tank for a while, I just got my manual tank valves installed ( good riddance to the electric FSV ) and I managed to get some critters in that tank even though I've been using it as a transfer tank, my screen in my lift pump bowl was clogging quickly. I grabbed a couple of jugs of that Power service clear diesel tank cleaner and poured it in and just let it shake around in there for a few hundred miles. It was supposed to break up and disperse the contaminants, then I re routed my transfer pump hoses so they were re cycling the fuel through a big filter on the bed and back into the tank just to clean it up and ran for 9 hours that way so I imagine the whole tank made a number of passes through the filter. I havent drained the bottom trash seperator section to see whats in there but the upper section of the filter is clear and it appears that the stuff did it's job and dispersed the contaminants because there were no big nasties in there and I would think that a few would make it past the seperator section and up into the filter section It's a big Davco filter

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
would that size that i posted be ok for use as a filter for our trucks?

Flow (GPM)
Diameter (in.)
Height (in.)
9 1/2
Head (ft.)
Filtration (Microns)
Hose Fitting Size (in. NPT)
3/4

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midnight Rider- I found the Goldenrod filters at northern tool would this be the correct one to get?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_910811_910811

YES, that be the one.

I found all of my DE-BUG units on E-Bay, made under the Volvo Marine ?Pentra? label; they are the genuine New Zealand De-Bug units re-labeled Volvo.

You can find tons of information if you just Google or whatever "DE-BUG".

Also, search "De-Bug" and "magnetic fuel filter" on E-Bay.

The DE-BUG kills and disperses the organisms, while the GoldenRod collects the remnants. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would that size that i posted be ok for use as a filter for our trucks?

Flow (GPM)
Diameter (in.)
Height (in.)
9 1/2
Head (ft.)
Filtration (Microns)
Hose Fitting Size (in. NPT)
3/4

Just be aware that the GoldenRod is meant to be a PRE-FILTER, catching all the bigger crud.

You will still need a main fuel-filter to protect the injection-pump from the really fine stuff, either the stock filter or otherwise of your choice. ;Really

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Just be aware that the GoldenRod is meant to be a PRE-FILTER, catching all the bigger crud.

You will still need a main fuel-filter to protect the injection-pump from the really fine stuff, either the stock filter or otherwise of your choice. ;Really

thats exactly what i was trying to double check on, i have a Carter Elec Pump that i will be installing, i plan on picking up a Goldenrod and throwing that in there while im at it :sly:sly should i run the 3/4" one or the 1" one?

Also should i get the water block one and just bypass my factory H20/Fuel Sep?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3/4 would be easiest to adapt down to 3/8 fuel-line.

The 1" will work just as well; it's just a bigger drop down to 3/8.

If you use the water-separating GoldenRod, I see no reason not to eliminate the factory separator. ;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle