biodiesel

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
John, I just help Dad put a Cleanburn waste oil furnance in his shop last weekend. I was impressed with it. Heats the big shop well enough I had to shed my coat. And was suprised by the lack of soot/smoke.

Heath

brings back some memories, used to work there

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
what he said,:D and i am right next door

and im only a few miles further west :sly
there are two ups to Bio. 1. you get free fuel (well almost free) ans 2, you get free handsoap out of it. then you can have the wondrful smell of french fries all day :D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, true biodiesel is going to cost you in methanol. If you make the handsoap that means you need to be recovering your methanol to make it non hazardous which means you are recycling it, great for the bottom line and for lowering your fossil fuel use if you care about such things. My batches made with free WVO and recovered methanol have been pennies on the gallon but for my time and the state fuel taxes. If you have to buy ****** methanol it seems to range from $2.50-6.00 a gallon in 55 gallon barrel quantities, bear in mind the stoichiometry says that 10% by weight of methanol should be enough, however the presence of small amounts of impurities in your WVO and chemicals mean that it needs to be closer to 20% by volume to have enough excess to push the equilibrium reaction toward completion. It's not free but in the era of big oil soaking us for $3.50 a gallon at the pump and big government getting ready to clamp down with tighter environmental regulation and higher prices I'll take my .80-2.00 per gallon any day. The glycerin soap is really nice stuff to have too, it is a very gentle soap an very good at breaking up diesel grime and dirt generally.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use PS DieselKleen (gray bottle) with every tank of Bio, it really helps with cold starts and gelling. We even did a test in mason jars left on the porch overnight; at 20*F, the straight bio we make has a thick consistency and some gelling, but with the DieselKleen it is much more fluid, similar to thin WVO at room temperature. I hate to be such a fanboy for a product but it works great for bio as well as a lubricity additive for ULSD, not to mention it cleaned out my IP after a year of WVO and bio gummed up the metering valve.

I'd try adding about 5% unleaded gas to it and see what that does to your gel point.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brings back some memories, used to work there

No kidding. That sucker has me impressed that's for sure. We're burning 55 gallons of chocolate milk looking hydraulic oil now. Any lead on parts for them if we need them in the future?

Heath