Biodiesel

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I seen a thread pertainting to how to run biodiesel in a IDI but I cant seem to find it now. If anyone knows can you let me know? If not does anyone know what it would take so I could run B100?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find yourself a co-op there in NC there are plenty or look your basic appleseed processor and get your B100 made...pour it in the tanks, these things run better on B100 than ULSD in my opinion. Make sure to have a couple extra filters in case your bio cleans out the tanks in a hurry.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I do have a few fueling stations near me. However I was wondering if I have to replace any of the lines with braided stainless steel lines? Since I know that biodiesel eats rubber kinda like E85. And what about it messing with the pump?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man it's bad about eating rubber fuel lines, but the only rubber you have is your return lines and possibly any rubber splices in the kines. The factory hard plastic lines seem to be B100 compatible I have about 40,000 B100 miles and no leaks there. One more place to check is the rubber line down by the rail and mechanical lift pump. I'd just keep an eye on it it won't fail catastrophically it'll get gooey.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I've run maybe 4000gallons through the truck while I was self employed.
I took the bed off the truck, replaced every fuel line from inside the tank to the engine + returns, no problems ever....

I do not run it now as I'm offshore a month at a time. Due to the fuel being unstable and not storing well, I would make 100% certain you burn it all. Other than that it runs great.

have fun,
Drew

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I would do the same thing, but I dont really have anyway of getting the bed off. So I will have to wait until the manpower comes along.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i've done it a few times. once with a cherry picker and wire rope, once with a chainhoist. and once by setting up blocks, picking up one end, gettin a board under it, do the other side, etc etc until I could drive the truck away.

On a side note, doing the fuel pickups is nice. Drive 200miles per tank and never have run outta fuel, have run 250 as well, tho I'm safe by nature with things like running outta fuel.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drew is right bio does not store as well as D2. Likes to grow "wretched beasties" after sitting a few months. Critters can be hard to get out of the fuel system. I had a tank with 7 gallons or so of 50/50 LSD and Bio and it looked decent, I pushed it through a filter/ water sep and dumped it in.... what a mistake. That tank was never right again. But if you drive your truck enough to go through a tank of fuel in a month or two you'll never have that problem as long as you're careful about reasonable QC on your fuel.

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
I run un washed homemade B100 for two years ,only two problems i had was glisern pluging up the filters and carbon buldup on the rings now i cut it 50/50 or 60/40 ulsdf;Sweet

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
well, I tried unwashed biodiesel, but unfortunatly I had the fuel drop a little glycerin....
which wouldn't be bad, but it did it in the injectors.

you have to remember, this is an ongoing chemical process unless you stop it. Water washing does that to a point. Over the course of the next month it'll drop a little more junk out even with good water washing.
Great fuel, I love it, makes a great fuel additive as well. Just be careful

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have had less carbon build up in the engine not more! Something was not right! If the glycerin dropout did in the injectors and you had them weeping in there for a LONG period of time I could see how that could cause problems. Getting glycerin dropout sucks because it's hard to contain it and even harder to work out of the fuel system. I FINALLY got my system mostly rid of it after a lot of months/years of dealing with it. Soon to pull the injectors and see if they got hurt if I can ever get my home made tester to work...if not I may just have to take them somewhere for said test...