Biodiesel

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Our new (to us) home in South Carolina will have approximately 7 acres of pasture land. We are considering growing hay for the horses on part of that, but I'm also thinking about starting a biodiesel operation there.

What do I need to do this? Any idea how much soybean land is needed for a smallscale/local biodiesel operation? What about equipment?

Thanks,

Mike

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Guys,

Our new (to us) home in South Carolina will have approximately 7 acres of pasture land. We are considering growing hay for the horses on part of that, but I'm also thinking about starting a biodiesel operation there.

What do I need to do this? Any idea how much soybean land is needed for a smallscale/local biodiesel operation? What about equipment?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,
If you are planning on selling the fuel you would need to have ways of testing it to make sure it is clean and meets specifications.
As far as growing soybeans on 7 acres that wont get you very far either.
If you just wanted to set up a small building to brew some homemade biodiesel then that would be much easier to do.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
Mike,
If you are planning on selling the fuel you would need to have ways of testing it to make sure it is clean and meets specifications.
As far as growing soybeans on 7 acres that wont get you very far either.
If you just wanted to set up a small building to brew some homemade biodiesel then that would be much easier to do.

Thank you... Sounds like I'll just do my own homebrew. :)

Can't beat that, though. One way to offset the ridiculous fuel prices. I expect fuel to be nearly $3 a gallon on average... and we only get reimbursed $0.15 per mile. I haven't done the math, but suspect that won't even cover my fuel costs at 12-13mpg on average to SC from CA.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
in the warm months (march-nov here in south ga) I just run 50-50% WVO in the rear tank.
Startup and shut off on D in the front tank, no problems 100's of gallons of wvo.

easy for me, on my farm the only other person that lives here owns a hamburger joint.... 20gallons clean/waterfree WVO delivered to the door weekly.

drew

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
just make sure (i mean delivered) you can get some methanol before you invest in any biod equip. I found it exceedingly hard in my location to get methanol for a reasonable price.