Bio Diesel & question

Short Circuit

Reaction score
Hey all,
Got an '88 6.2, '94 6.5td, 85 VW 1.6, and an 85 VW 1.6td.

Have been brewing and using Biodiesel in all of the above.

Recently found out that ADM (Archer Daniels Midland) can sell me ATSM certified B100 cheaper than I can make it, and cheaper than petro diesel. Will be taking delivery on the first shipment in a few weeks. Have setup kinda' an un-official fuel co-op with about 20 friends/neighbors. Should be going through 1000-1500 gal/week. Will be thinning out the Bio in the winter (North Central MN) with citrus oil (orange, lemon, lime) should give the exhaust a pleasant smell. Thoughts/Comments?

My question is: Is the tranny bolt pattern on the back of the 6.2 and 6.5 the same as the rest of the chevy v8's?

Gonna' take one of the spare 6.2's and build a generator/hot water heater.

Thanks in advance.

Short Circuit

Reaction score
It's priced regionaly and changes everyday based on market demand, differences by region probably account for differences in transportation costs from the plant. Short answer about $2/Gal when petro around here is $3.

Hit their website (ADM) call the fuel rep, she'll email the forms, fill out the credit app and ACH debit forms, fax back, arrange for delivery or not, obtain fuel, within 10 days they debit your account. In MN, there's a form that you account for and pay the highway tax on every gallon used in a vehicle operated on a public highway. Not rocket science. They (ADM) have fuel depots scattered all around the U.S. In MN it's basically the honor system to report the taxes for fuel used on public highways.

Get hot, save a buck and do something good for the planet. It's a win-win. It makes OPEC nervous to boot. Higher lubricity=better for IP and injectors. Little to no sulphur. Burns just fine in a traditional fuel oil furnace too (with no changes). At the end of the year (tax time) add up all those fuel tax forms and use that as the source documents for filing out the alternative fuel tax credit on your income tax. Basically you get the road taxes back from the feds in the form of a tax credit.

Now all you need is a storage tank.

Within a couple months my little operation should be flowing about 7,000 gals/month enough to warrant my own tanker and tractor.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this about ADM you should post this in the BIO Diesel section. I'm going to look into it and possibly talk to the owner of the local country gas station here, they sell alot of diesel to these farmers around these parts. Only other place I've found in NC for B100 is 60 miles away and want $3.50 a gallon when Dino diesel is $2.50cookoo

AS far as the Chebby bell housings I don't know but if I had to venture a guess I would say they are. GM unlike Ford was pretty consistent with using the same bell housings on the chevy v-6 small v-8 and big block v-8 engines as well as others.

Towcat would be the one to ask if he doesn't pop in on this thread. IIRC he's working on a chevy diesel project right now.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!;Sweet
Tonkadoc is right on the bellhousing pattern. They are the same. In fact, outside of some very minor differences on the heads, everything else that bolts to the longblock is the same between 6.2 and 6.5. If you take a look at the pics I posted on the 6.5 turbo buildup, you'll see I reused the V-belt setup off a 6.2 :D

Short Circuit

Reaction score
Buy it directly from the manufacturer (ADM), everytime it passes through somebodies tank there is a respectible markup. Buy it pre-tax and dye it for the offroad users or not. 3 of companies that want bio from me are excavation companies (trackhoes, Bobcats, feller-bunchers, etc) they burn a boat load of fuel. Literally. Will probably add some Power Service and/or citrus oil (and monitor Ph). For good measure

BTW, spent 12 years in nuc powered subs, backup powerplant was a 12 piston, 6 cylinder diesel with couter rotating crankshafts which drove a half megawatt 450 Vac 3 phase genhead. Max RPM=600 with overspeed trips @ 620 RPM. Talk about a torque motor. But always preffered to have the tea-kettle on line driving the twin 1.2 megawatt steam turbines. Why waltz, when you can rock-n-roll.

Sooooo, theoritically the bell housing off of a 350 gas motor would bolt up to a 6.2, if I read ya' right.

Would hate to spend a couple hundred on a custom made SAE bell housing and have it not fit. This is for a home heating project. 6.2 coupled to a 20Kw 1800 RPM marathon genhead (just to give it a litle load), then capture the coolant and exhaust heat into a 275 gallon heat transfer tank which flows hot water to the hydronic floor heat and base board radiators. Under MN law if I run the 6.2 offa' Bio it's legally a renewable fueled co-generation plant and they have to pay me the "average retail rate for that class of customer" which is, currently (and tracks with inflation), $.07 per Kwh which should pay for the fuel to run the little genny. I get my heat for free or at a severely reduced cost. A low temp switch on the heat transfer tank is the trigger to feed the murphy switch that fires up the genny and a high temp switch to shut it off when the temp hits 150F. Large facilities (with larger units) already do this and call it load shaving.

PLease move/copy these posts to anywhere ya' want.

Wheres the cheapest place to buy a new DB4 pump?

Short Circuit

Reaction score
In NC you need to be concerned about bactacide additives. I would think.

BTW, Ocracoke Island is one of my favorite places on the planet and the ferry ride is free.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheres the cheapest place to buy a new DB4 pump?

Check out the "Which pump? Which supplier?" thread:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17127

Post #8 gives some pump supplier/cost info that I dug up while looking for a replacement DB4 pump. One point I noticed - Several pump suppliers swear that the DB4 is no longer in production, so the ONLY way to buy this pump is as a reman. I asked my local pump guy about his 'new' DB4's, and he is very positive that the pumps he sells as 'new' are in fact new from Stanandyne.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin