Bio Diesel article

sagebel

Reaction score
Rcannon said:
Just a short article...
most interesting: Minnesota law requiring 2% bio diesel.

Article here

That's a start. I think for bio to really take hold, a few things need to happen. Engines need to be able to run bio with no problems (manufacturers need to warranty it), and big oil needs to embrace it. Until that happens I don't think bio diesel will be accepted. Hopefully, things like this will kick some in the ass to get with the program.

Scott

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another article I found interesting in our local paper today (Spartanburg, SC Herald Journal). Sorry to post the whole article but you got to subscribe to the site to be able to see it soo...Anyway I figured Bio would be cheaper than reg diesel?? If I'm doing my math correct ole Willie paid $2.19 / gal??!! Going price for diesel here right now at Wally World is $2.17. What gives? I was excited when I first saw the article but now...
Anyways here's the article -

Musician puts spotlight on biodiesel
SUSAN ORR, Staff Writer
GREER -- It may have been the most well-attended pit stop the Upstate has ever seen.

Musician Willie Nelson, in the area for a Tuesday night concert, stopped at a Greer gas station that morning for an event that was part fuel-up, part news conference and part autograph session.

Nelson and his crew stopped at the Spinx station on Highway 14 at I-85 to help publicize BioWillie diesel, a type of fuel that blends traditional petroleum-based diesel with fuel made from soybean oil or other renewable sources.

The Spinx station is the first truck stop on the East Coast to sell biodiesel fuel, according to Joe Jobe, CEO of the National Biodiesel Board.

Nelson, accompanied by actor/environmentalist Dennis Weaver, Spinx CEO Stewart Spinks and others, said biodiesel is good for both the environment and the economy.

"Thanks to you folks for helping us kick off a good thing," Nelson told the 100 or so Spinx employees, fans and others.

After a parking-lot news conference, Nelson and his crew filled their tour bus with 163 gallons of BioWillie -- $357.14 worth.

Nelson said he first learned about biodiesel several years ago, when his wife bought a diesel car. He was intrigued by the smell of the exhaust -- "the tailpipe smelled like French fries."

He also liked the idea that biodiesel -- made from renewable resources -- could be a boon for American farmers and help the nation become more self-sufficient."There's no need for us to be so dependent on foreign energy," Nelson told the crowd.

Now, Nelson said, he has a 600-gallon biodiesel fuel tank at his Texas ranch from which he fuels his tour bus and Mercedes. He's also the namesake and founding partner of the Willie Nelson Biodiesel Co., which was formed late last year to market and distribute biodiesel fuel.

Spinks said that he plans to add BioWillie to his fuel lineup at all Upstate Spinx stations within the next 90 days.

Truck driver Curtis Whitley, who drives for Merit Container in Greer, said he'd heard of biodiesel but had never before seen a place to buy it.

Whitley said he'd consider buying biodiesel, and he'd be willing to pay a few cents more per gallon because of the environmental benefits he'd heard about.

"Anything to help out," Whitley said.

Susan Orr can be reached at 562-7270 or [email protected].

sagebel

Reaction score
Yup, go Willie! The guys at work think I'm crazy for home brewing. They sometimes ask "so Willie, have you blown anything up yet?" I just tell them nope, is your wallet empty yet? We are getting there. Once bio-d is available at a lower price I will stop home brewing.

Scott

Rcannon

Go Cards!
Reaction score
ericboutin said:
Here's another article I found interesting in our local paper today (Spartanburg, SC Herald Journal). Sorry to post the whole article but you got to subscribe to the site to be able to see it soo...Anyway I figured Bio would be cheaper than reg diesel?? If I'm doing my math correct ole Willie paid $2.19 / gal??!! Going price for diesel here right now at Wally World is $2.17. What gives? I was excited when I first saw the article but now...
Anyways here's the article -

].
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: great find on the article.
I agree bio should be cheaper, but until they really start mass producing it I don't think you'll see it come down. Regardless of the price... I think it's great it actually has somone willing to sell it. Hopefully we will see more of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online