Bigfoot broke the clutch!

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as amusing as that sounds, its true. I swear.

Going into a corner, I clutched in to drop into 3rd. I heard a loud SNAP, accompanied by a jolt in my steering wheel. Knew something was wrong, but didnt know what it was until I came up to the next red light. No clutch, along with steering wheel movement with each pedal press. Yay. Did my usual gear floating routine like when the slave died. Found an empty parking lot and looked up under the dash to find the assembly bracket was broken in not one but two places!

From looking through the LMC blowouts, it is part #1 in the top panel of the diagram:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=39

Can anybody give me a checklist of things I need to undo or path to take to remove the offending broken potmetal piece? I fear simply undoing things and finding out something is out of order and spring-loaded. ;)

Next problem is finding a replacement *sigh*

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Photos of my handywork..
View from the floor, looking towards drivers side..
You must be registered for see images attach

--
Towards passenger side..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm no clutch expert but thats way too much force pushing on the peddle. There is something else wrong under the dash. I'm really surprised your firewall isn't all cracked to hell. We have a member here that makes firewall reinforcements for just the problem. You may need to talk with Jason about his plasma table expertise... What he makes is a great product too. Several members have bought it and really like what it does...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well let me see....

Dash trim and then (instrument cluster) gotta get the speedo cable off back of speedo to feed through bracket

Then steering column, two bolts under the dash to the bracket and about 5-7 against the floor board and one in engine comp to disconnect from steering shaft to box.

Then 4 bolts holding the brake MC on, inclip from pushrod

Then one bolt up above column

That should about cover the removal of it all...

Take a look here

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...e-to-cracked-Firewall-Here-s-what-to-do-PART1

Hopefully that gives you some clue's NOW is a good time to do that firewall kit BTW...

OH and this thread is useless without pics!

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finding a replacement bracket is proving to be neigh impossible. 0/7 within 130mi radius. I have one more yard to check before I am forced to "consider alternatives" to get the pig back on the road, while keeping an eye out for a proper fix. *sigh*

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I can locate brackets if interested...but shipping would KILL...I'd of course have to pull it at a wrecker and subsequently ship. I know locally there are a few!

Let me know yer thoughts..I do know what to look for btw...before pulling/shipping!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently (6-12 months ago) replace mine as the pivot holes were elongated (not broke, thank God!!) The LMC part was a good match and is working very well so far.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a bracket sitting on the shelf. The clutch shaft hole is elongated though. So if your hard up PM me and we could work something out. I could ship it monday if needed.

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an update, had to drive a bit further than I had originally planned, but managed to find an 87 F250 with a 300 I-6 that had a manual tranny. Everywhere I looked I found 1/2/350's out the *****...all automatic. It hadn't been molested interior wise... so I snatched the gauge cluster too. Have a gasser cluster in there now from the previous owner, but about a month ago the plastic gears behind the speedo turned into cannibals, ate each other while yelling and screaming. lol I hate the fact its another gasser cluster, so the tach wont work, but at least I can swap this one in and know how slow I am traveling again.

Cost me $36 for the bracket with pedals attached, and another $36 for the cluster. Maybe I can find a diesel one within the next 30 days and I can return the gasser cluster for a credit.

Was nice finding one in a JY that hadnt been molested yet... let me slowly tear into it to figure out what order things needed to be removed.

I will take some photos for future bigfeet who break their junk too. :D

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really suck at doing writeups with pictures. Turns out all the photos I took ended up too dark to be useful except for the pics of the busted bracket. However, here is a detailed description of my repair: My truck is a 1990 F350 CC 2wd 5spd btw...

My supply list:
1/4" drive socket set, 7/16" socket
flathead screwdriver
3/8" drive ratchet
3", 6" 3/8 extension
14MM deep well 3/8" drive
10MM 3/8" drive
box fan to sit up on the passenger seat for airflow

My steps to completion:

1. Undo the four twist-lock retainers holding the kickpanel on the lower dash, set panel aside.
2. Remove headlight and wiper knobs from their shafts (if you still have yours. i dont)
3. Gently pull on the left hand side of the lower panel, around the headlight/wiper shafts. It is held on with snaps. Unplug the fuel switch harness when it pops free. Set aside.
4. Using the 7/16" socket, remove the single screw on the bottom left of the steering column. Then pry off the right side lower panel.
5. Using the 7/16" socket, remove the bolts that surround the instrument cluster. Two on top, and IIRC 3 along the bottom.
6. Gently pry the upper cluster surround with dash vents from the dash area. There are some more snaps.
7. Using the same 7/16" socket, remove the four bolts on the four corners of the instrument cluster.
8. Gently pull out on the cluster, unhooking the two large connectors on either end, and squeeze the plastic retainer and pull out the speedo cable. Set cluster aside.
9. Lay on your back under the dash, and remove the brake light switch from the brake pedal. Then, side its shaft off of the pedal too, letting the pedal fall dead to the firewall.
10. Reach over above the throttle, and unhook the clutch master shaft from its pedal connection, letting the clutch fall to the floor.
11. Using the 14MM deep socket and 3/8" drive wrench and extensions, remove the four nuts holding the brake master and vacuum box on the firewall. Once its free, climb out under the hood, and slide it forward as a unit until the bolts clear the firewall. Leave the rod inside.
12. Back into the truck, on the floor, use your 14MM socket again to remove the two bolts that hold the steering column up to the pedal bracket. Let wheel rest down on the seat.
13. Look around the column up onto the bracket.. using the 10MM socket, there are two bolts up behind the column. Remove those. You might need to use a wobble extension or swivel, if you cant get the column to move far enough left/right for a straight shot.
13A...there might be a nut on the edge of the bracket closest to the seat...pull that too. This nut was present on the donor truck, but not on my own.

Now, the bracket should be completely free...but still wedged up in there like a puzzle piece. Here is how it comes out:

14. Using the brake or clutch pedals as a handle with one hand, use your other to guide the upper half of the bracket. You need to rotate the assembly counter clockwise.. pedals towards the tranny hump. About 70* rotation, you bring the pedals out towards the seat, thereby making the brake attachment point rotate downward. From this position, it drops straight out. You may need to fiddle with things to make it fall out. Mine got caught on the column harness, and I had to unplug it and move it out of the way.

Time for installation tips:
Installation is reverse of the removal, so I will not retype all of it. Just work backwards. Here are some tips, from my own headaches:

* Once you twist and rotate the bracket back up into the dash, reattach the bolts in step 13 FIRST to hold the bracket up. Skip 13a, but reattach that nut just before you raise the column.

* It helps to have an extra set of hands while trying to mate the vacuum box and master cylinder back onto the firewall and through the bracket. I didnt have any. What I did was move the box close enough to the firewall to line up the studs with the holes, and thread the rod back through its opening in the firewall. Inside the truck, I used the rod as a handle, to do small adjustments and line up the bolts with the holes a bit better. Once it was close enough, I put the rod back onto the brake pedal and pulled up...wah-lah, booster pulled back into its seat where I could hand spin on the nuts. :)

* Remember this bracket is made of pot metal. Dont torque down the nuts/bolts an excessive amount. Snug, then slightly firm is adequate.

* Take your sweet ass time when doing this. No need to rush and miss something when it comes to the brakes.

In my case, all is well now. My replacement cluster is crap, so thats going back for a credit tomorrow, but the clutch feels much nicer now, and doesnt squeak when I depress it.

===
Pics: Dash and column dropped, ready to start on step 14...twisting the bracket out of the dash.

===
My busted ass bracket. For a little while before it finally broke the pedal seemed squishy, and squeaked randomly when pressed. None of these breaks occurred during removal.. it all happened while running with a big SNAP!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
back in 2006, I had an 04 ford ranger for a daily truck. This same thing happened to that trucks pedal assembly with only 21,000 miles on the truck. Yours lasted longer than that one did. I was lucky and had it replaced under warranty. Glad you have it going your way again!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up thanks....and you were not whistling dixie when you said BROKE...man that's as bad as I have seen so far...

WINNER!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk