riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K guys copied from PSN

Dyno day 12/17/2011 Erics automotive, Enumclaw, WA

Name/Truck/(WHP/WTQ@Peak Boost)/Mods

NMB2 (out)
Doug/ 2005 5.9 6-spd/(311/589@??? boost)/Thru Muffler.
RacinNdrummin/ 1988 7.3 5-spd/(235/477@18 psi)/S362,DPS turbo cal,J2 CAM,IC'd
Typ4/ 1991 F350 5-spd/(218/461@14psi)/60-1 wheel,CAI,typ4 cam, IC'd
91dirtydiesel/ 1991 F350 5-spd/(202/419@17psi)/ATS turbo,Intake tube & filter,5" exhaust
Totalled/ 1973 F350 390 Auto/(203/293@N/A)/4bbl,intake,RV cam,headers
Chris Tongue/ 1985 Chev 6.5 Auto/(138/285@12psi)/Banks Turbo Kit
Papastruck/ 1986 F350 6.9 auto/(123/384@10psi)/Banks Turbo,Baby Moose,Exhaust
Pirate4x4 guy/ 1992 F250 7.3 5-spd/(123/283@N/A) Dead Stock

On way to the run...NMB2 lost a rear of block core plug and coolant leaked out. :puke::puke: ****** deal for sure and I would love to have seen his #'s oh well regardless it will be corrected and he'll have it running fer sure.

At the least it was caught quick enough to not loose the engine or his new clutch:hail

wmoguy

Reaction score
Very nice numbers especially on Russ's rig! Personally if I had as much custom fab work as racindrummin does and only outdid him by that small of a margin I'd be pretty dissapointed.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part of it could be tuning and the other part is his engine could be a bit more worn than Russ' truck. He did pick it up used and didn't do a full rebuild.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, ther e are a couple of reasons Racin shouldn't be too disappointed 1) this is not the max...he still has a lot more fuel he can add in theory anyway. Who knows how much boost a stoc CR can hold with that BW turbo before something cuts loose. He's out of fuel...he needs the DB4 pump and that's that, so he and NMB2 both say, and I'm going to agree with them. As for NMB2.....I don't even know what I'd say to him....after 36 hrs of no sleep and having something like this happen, he's a better man than I am for not just losing it and burning the whole works to the ground. I hope this doesn't really mean he has to pull that engine out yet AGAIN. Personally I couldn't stand to even look at it for awhile. If you read this Justin...hang in there brother...I know you're not a man for cheap talk.....I wish I were closer or I'd be awful glad to bust my tail helping you get it all back together...no joke. Everyone else...great dyno run....!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
As for NMB2.....I don't even know what I'd say to him....after 36 hrs of no sleep and having something like this happen, he's a better man than I am for not just losing it and burning the whole works to the ground!

I just feel SICK for him, What a disappointment for him to put this motor together twice, all of the work that has gone into it especially over the last week, and to not make it to the dyno day the HE put together because of a 3 dollar freeze plug.

I had a rough week with Droopy, but that doesn't compare to what happened to him..

I am truly sorry Bud,....:cheers:

Great numbers otherwise, guys! Thanks for posting. Ill check out the vids and pics when I have more time.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm not trying to diminish racin's results. It's just when you put it into perspective it's not that impressive. Here you have Russ's truck which is nipping at his heels, and is way more stock than racin's ride. Iirc Russ has a uhaul pump in his and BB injectors, of course his cam, and the 60-1 wheel upgrade, that's it. No compare that to the work Racin has done. Imagine if Russ had bigger injectors and a hotter pump??? Also Russ made his results on 4 psi less...
I totally get JDDiesels point of Racin having a foundation laid for more fuel. I guess maybe I just had higher expectations after all the hype about their builds. he probably is out of fuel fuel, mine is too. We better get cozy with that fact though,call Ken. They aren't building anymore DB4 hybrids for sometime as he is concerned about longevity of it before he starts mass production.

That completely sucks about nmb2s debacle. I don't think I'd even want to look at that damn truck for weeks if I was in his shoes. I guess when it's all said and done he can probably pull that engine with his eyes closed! I didn't read all the jabs back and forth, but if his buddies left him and his wife there for 4 hours I suppose I too would have to rethink the so called friendship definition.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Great numbers you guy's. Awful close to the 500ft/lb mark :sly

Man that was a lot of work to do (in a hurry) just to have a freeze plug blow... Thats a heartbreaker -cuss

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. Nice numbers guys.. Really impressive. Fine numbers Russ for "what you have"..:rotflmao
About the freeze plug mess....:hail Been there and done that too. Got the pistons to show fot it too. If this was an oem plugI would say the block is flexing. If these are an after market plug and installed without the special tool then you now know what I felt when one of mine blew out pulling a long grade and burned down my 5200 miles build. Call OTC. Spend the $150.00 for the tool. Order up a set of 7 ford factory plugs and install them with a sealant. The oem plugs are stainless steel and are really the only ones that will work in out blocks. The brass ones can't cut into the thin cast iron lip and hold. Clean off the block really well or the plug wont seat properly. The engine dows not need to come out for the rear plugs but... The thrans and flywheel needs to be removed to reach them. If they are all brass please pull the engine and replace them with factory stainless steel. Also MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL WITH THE SPECIAL TOOL ONLY... Do not cheap out and use a hammer and punch or socket. The special tool is designed to spread them the proper amount and no more. This isn't an area of if a little dent is good and bigger dent is better.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to diminish racin's results. It's just when you put it into perspective it's not that impressive. Here you have Russ's truck which is nipping at his heels, and is way more stock than racin's ride. Iirc Russ has a uhaul pump in his and BB injectors, of course his cam, and the 60-1 wheel upgrade, that's it. No compare that to the work Racin has done. Imagine if Russ had bigger injectors and a hotter pump??? Also Russ made his results on 4 psi less...
I totally get JDDiesels point of Racin having a foundation laid for more fuel. I guess maybe I just had higher expectations after all the hype about their builds. he probably is out of fuel fuel, mine is too. We better get cozy with that fact though,call Ken. They aren't building anymore DB4 hybrids for sometime as he is concerned about longevity of it before he starts mass production.

That completely sucks about nmb2s debacle. I don't think I'd even want to look at that damn truck for weeks if I was in his shoes. I guess when it's all said and done he can probably pull that engine with his eyes closed! I didn't read all the jabs back and forth, but if his buddies left him and his wife there for 4 hours I suppose I too would have to rethink the so called friendship definition.

You're not wrong about Russ's truck...it's a great build and he might be dead even with Racin' with a like pump and Stage 1s. When I called Ken about some other parts he said that a pump just like NMB2's with 150cc of fuel would be $1400, I didn't ask him if he could have one right away because I can't afford it anyway and I would burn down my truck with that much fuel. He's had a bit of an uptick in the IDI business thanks to the fact that NMB2 used his stuff for the build it seems like, so any delay might be more about the volume of people trying to buy these go fast goodies than anything to do with pump longevity. He has at least 3 pumps like NMB2's out there.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Man that sucks! Kind of reminds me of all the issues flatlander had with his build. :-(

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, ther e are a couple of reasons Racin shouldn't be too disappointed 1) this is not the max...he still has a lot more fuel he can add in theory anyway. Who knows how much boost a stoc CR can hold with that BW turbo before something cuts loose. He's out of fuel...he needs the DB4 pump and that's that, so he and NMB2 both say, and I'm going to agree with them. As for NMB2.....I don't even know what I'd say to him....after 36 hrs of no sleep and having something like this happen, he's a better man than I am for not just losing it and burning the whole works to the ground. I hope this doesn't really mean he has to pull that engine out yet AGAIN. Personally I couldn't stand to even look at it for awhile. If you read this Justin...hang in there brother...I know you're not a man for cheap talk.....I wish I were closer or I'd be awful glad to bust my tail helping you get it all back together...no joke. Everyone else...great dyno run....!

He's definitely out of fuel. Here is what Racin said to me afterward:

As far as your question on tuning, We adjusted Fuel pressure to the IP, We messed with the timing (Actually ended up retarding it amazingly enough) and messed with the torque screw, Egt's never got above 900*. There just isnt any more fuel in the pump... My setup is definately capable of more. With all being said, I went from 203/445 on the first run to 235/477 on the last run, just messing with the pump and FP settings, its just done.

The egts show that he was out of fuel. If you can't get them higher than that, it is pretty obvious. That turbo is definitely capable of more power that's for sure. Overall, it was a really good dyno run and as soon as he gets the 150cc pump he should theoretically put out 40% (more likely 30%) more power than with his 90cc pump he has right now. Having that pump, he will be able to push 25psi also.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I'd like to see the charts- its the 'area under the curve' that will determine how well the truck performs in the real world.

I'm curious if:

1. type4's cam has a flatter delivery across the spectrum and

2. if the J2 cam is more of a peaky power cam.

:dunno

Really makes me wanna go run mine... it sure feels like over 200, but every time I see results I am surprised at the numbers.

My previous truck was a Dmax LBZ. If I could get this old girl (paid for;Really) close to its advertised 360/650 it'd be pretty sweet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
But can the hard lines deliever more fuel or will they be the restriction along with the injectors restricting fuel flow....:dunno Sometimes we need to "open up" the fuel delievery lines to the pump too. Finding where the fuel restriction actually is and then fixing that is a real tuff item...:sly

wmoguy

Reaction score
You're not wrong about Russ's truck...it's a great build and he might be dead even with Racin' with a like pump and Stage 1s. When I called Ken about some other parts he said that a pump just like NMB2's with 150cc of fuel would be $1400, I didn't ask him if he could have one right away because I can't afford it anyway and I would burn down my truck with that much fuel. He's had a bit of an uptick in the IDI business thanks to the fact that NMB2 used his stuff for the build it seems like, so any delay might be more about the volume of people trying to buy these go fast goodies than anything to do with pump longevity. He has at least 3 pumps like NMB2's out there.

Not sure when you spoke w/ Ken. I have a few times in the past couple of weeks, AMEX in hand, and he said no more DB4's until some longevity testing was in place, he said making them was the easy part. I was bummed I couldn't get one now. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online