Beware Amazon ZD-1-A labeled GPs arriving with ZD-9 parts.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shipped and sold by amazon? Or someone else on amazon? I'd assume amazon would buy direct from ford, and not Alibaba or some other no-name, but I guess even they could be "corporatized" to purchase from the cheapest seller.

Your Ford dealer shouldn't have counterfeit stuff. If someone purchases counterfeits elsewhere and returns them as genuines to the dealer, all bets are off though. Same deal with O'reilly, Federated, Etc.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Are there small holes punched in the bottom corners of the bags?
It is tough to see those holes, but they are in the lower left on the front of the packaging. In the pictures of the original post.

Looking at all of the ones I have, that hole is not always in the same spot, but always on the bottom half of the package.

MadMac

Reaction score
Are there small holes punched in the bottom corners of the bags?
Also, look at the markings on the plug itself. Do they say BERU on them, or is there another name on them?
The one ZD1A - with the spade end - had BERU stenciled on - so I kept that one. I didn't look at the barrel markings on the others - b/c they're so obviously a ZD9... they are already shipped back to AMZN. In a surprise, the sets I ordered from RockAuto - yesterday - arrived in less than 24 hours, I'll have a look for the pressure punch when I get to them.

MadMac

Reaction score
Quick update...

After sending all the "ZD9 plugs in ZD1A bags" back, I have verified all the new GPs have holes stamped in the lower left of the bag.
The not great news - is that extracting all the old plugs, one plug sheared off from mushrooming in the cup.
That sheared off plug - has beru printed on the barrel, while the others are stamped.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Quick update...

After sending all the "ZD9 plugs in ZD1A bags" back, I have verified all the new GPs have holes stamped in the lower left of the bag.
The not great news - is that extracting all the old plugs, one plug sheared off from mushrooming in the cup.
That sheared off plug - has beru printed on the barrel, while the others are stamped.

Just curious, did try to you spray the plugs with WD40 or similar while trying to remove the plugs? As I recall (it's been 4 years) that is what I did to help remove the Autolites from my F250. They all came out fine aside from carbon build up making them a bit hard to get out. The WD40 probably helped a little in that respect. Hopefully the "Motorcraft" ones I put in were legit.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t know if you are still looking fur ZD1s, but I was pleasantly surprised to find these older ones still pretty available. I bought 9 of them (charged them all and one for a spare) at Oreiily’s and with a discount code they were pretty cheap and shipped fast. Details below, Oreillys almost always has sone discount codes available.

Good luck to you.

Summary of Total Charges

Order Subtotal: $91.71
Promo Applied:HARVEST15
Total Discounts:-$16.20
Total Tax: $7.98
Shipping:$FREE

Order Total: $99.69

MadMac

Reaction score
Just curious, did try to you spray the plugs with WD40 or similar while trying to remove the plugs?
@Cubey - didn't use any lubricant. They all came out quite easily, the two minor mushroomed GPs took a slight amount of wiggling - think two/three easy wiggles with the needle nose pliers. This was done with minimal effort and torque on the wrench.

On the #2 cyl - I didn't even know the tip had broken free until I was labeling the GP and saw the raw metal (learned from someone smart to label the GPs with tape + cyl number when you pull them out...).