Better truck?

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Im new here. Im looking to pick up an idit and would like to get some opinions on 2 trucks im looking at.

First truck is a '90 F250 ex cab with a dealer installed ATS, 5 speed (ZF i think?) 4wd with 3.54 gears. XLT Lariat interior, everything works. Its in excellent condition, brake lines and suspension/steering joints are all new. Just over 200k on the engine, almost no blow by. Fuel screw and waste gate actuator are untouched, oil and coolant changed often. Everything looks like it was really well cared for. The seller is firm at $3400

Second truck is a '94 350 crew, factory turbo, auto trans, 4wd, unknown gears. Only 85k on the truck and less on the motor. The seller has had it for the past 15k miles. He bought it as a basket case and fixed it up. In his own words, it has a long list of things hes fixed, and a long list of things he hasnt. Nothing looks horrible underneath it, but its clearly all original stuff. Oh, it has a plow mount too which is a minus in my book. This seller is asking 3300 and seems negotiable, I figure 28-2900 or so.

There are only 3 idit's within driving distance of me, and the third one is a pos, so its down to these two. The first truck is very close to ideal for me, but I feel like the price is too high for what it is. The second truck is right in my price range, and if it turns out to be crap, I can easily part it out and make my money back. What do you guys think?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
The first one sounds much better. Im always leary of something that has been torn apart (like that second truck) as in most cases things are never quite as good as factory when they get back together. And the ZF trans is will likely give you less trouble then the E4od.

So, I would choose the first one ...and the 200k is nothing. Just listen good to the intake/exhaust sounds and make certain there is no CHUFF CHUFF sounds.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first one sounds much better. Im always leary of something that has been torn apart (like that second truck) as in most cases things are never quite as good as factory when they get back together. And the ZF trans is will likely give you less trouble then the E4od.

So, I would choose the first one ...and the 200k is nothing. Just listen good to the intake/exhaust sounds and make certain there is no CHUFF CHUFF sounds.
X2 based on the info IMHO ;Sweet

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would also go with the first. i bought mine in the shape of your seccond choice and and have way more than 3400 in it now between fixing normal things and replacing someone elses screw ups. in hindsight i would have waited for something better

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
The second truck is right in my price range, and if it turns out to be crap, I can easily part it out and make my money back. What do you guys think?

If you have a "price range" steer clear of a project truck. And you cannot easily part one of these out and get $2900...

First truck would be your best bet. Just make sure you try out the transmission and make sure it goes through the gears fine.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own both makes.the GM product is a excellent light duty commuter vehicle. that is all it is realistically good for when compared to a ford idi.
the ford has the performance goodies but has not been dialed in to work best by your own admission. (untampered fuel screw) and 3.54 gears.
do the adjustments and maybe a re-gear if you plan to tow. these are good mid-range trucks that won't take a big bite out of your wallet in the long run.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted above I feel the first truck is the better one but without pics its hard to be sure. Of course a newer rig is generally felt to be a better choice but from all the work its had I say pass on it. As for towing the 3.55 gears will work but you have to know your limits. I have run the 3.55 gears in all my tows so I can't say a set of 4.11 will be better without trying them. I believe they are better for towing. Just have no experiance with them. I do want a set of them in my rig. I'm missing something in towcats post about the GM truck. I kinda thought both of the trucks you posted about were idi rigs..

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More miles with good maintenance trumps fewer miles with a checkered history. That, plus the ZF5 over the E4OhDear, tips it in favor of the older truck. And +1 on the plow mount; that's a caution sign.

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright you guys are all pushing me in the direction im already leaning, which I believe is good. And nobody seems shocked by the price, it seems high for a 23 yr old truck, but it is much nicer than what I usually buy.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is higher bc of the diesel you should price a dodge with a 5.9 that age

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the crew cab and D60 front. Despite that, the 250 sounds like a good deal. Money being an issue, the F250 at $3400 seems like a good deal, especially if minimal tinkering is needed. Considering what these trucks are capable of, how economical they are and how long they last, $3400 is a reasonable price. Comparing our vintage truck to a $3500 2003 F150 is really comparing apples to oranges. Most would like the newer 150, I just laugh. A good IDI will out run a dozen comparable priced half tonners.

That 250 sounds nice.:sly-Drool;Poke

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like im picking up the nice one tomorrow night. If all goes according to plan, I'll be back in a few days with some newb posts lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle