Better oil filter?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That filter is likely capable of two normal OCIs in an IDI. It's just HUGE! One good long one makes more sense, IMO. I suggest you take an oil sample at the end of your next OCI. That will tell you if your truck is capable of going farther. If you are running a normal OCI with a modern oil and filter, the most likely answer is yes. My truck has always had great reports, even bore I was particularly interested in them. So, without changing anything bump it out a bit as indicated by the analysis... maybe 1-2K more. Sample again and see where the oil is. When the oil starts getting close to the end as indicated by the analysis, you can then set your OCI with that oil and that general driving scenario. YOu don't need to keep sampling at that point unless you change a big part of the equation (different oil or different scenario) so you then do more analysis to determine a new OCI. If you want to go out a real long ways like the IDI guy, you pretty much need to have a super premium oil and bypass but you would be surprised at how far a good off-the-shelf HDEO oil can go (in no particular order, Rotell, DELO, Tection, Delvac, Mystic, Motorcraft and even some of the house brands like Walmart SuperTech and Rural King.) with just a good primary fitler. I have seen those oils go out to 10K without bypass and 15K+ with bypass filtration. With a premoum fitler as the one discussed, I wouldn't be afraid to try 10K on a conventional HDEO subject to oil analysis at about 7K and a few other conditions.

I Overhauled the engine in mine two years ago and have not yet changed the oil. I do have bypass @ 3 um absolute. Had a sample tested at 1500 miles.. A-OK on the oil and the particle count was cleaner than the new oil I poured in, so the filters are getting all the break-in contamination. I tested again at 3K just recently and still good. I plan to run out to 8K at least with this fill of 10W30 Rotella but since I only but 2K a year on the truck, that may be a few more years ahead.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's some pretty good info.
I guess now I should order a sample kit. I'd have to double check, but I think I'm only nearing 4k on the travelers (tsc) oil and mobil 1 filter .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle