Better mileage with turned up IP?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
OK, getting withdrawls here and everything running good and smooth......knock on wood. :eek:

This is just weird, but anyways, after turning the pump up a flat and a half I am seeing 1-1.5 mpg better. :***:
That's even smoking out the ocassional ricer on tailgate mode. :rolleyes: :D :D
I thought at first it was a miscalculation but ran a few tanks of fuel thru to make sure with no change in Power Service dosings. Same thing...
Gotta luv the power increase too. :love:
There is a definite change in egt's tho....running 800 @ 75mph on the highway instead of 700. cookoo
Any thoughts as to why this should be. It kinda goes against the more fuel in the crappier the mileage outcome.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I do not have as much experience, but i can think that with more fuel there should be higher temps at the exhaust. Now the fuel milage if you do not have a turbo turning up the ip will only help a bit as long as you dont get in high hills.

my 2c, Exekiel.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What rear end gears does Goldie have?

BTW, I lost 2 or 3 mpg after turning up the fuel on my truck, although this was also adding the turbo. I went from 14 to 15 mpg to 12 to 13 mpg (usually closer to 12 :( ). I turned up the fuel about a flat and a half (about 90 degrees with the Allen wrench). This may or may not have been due to the all-pervasive "fun factor", but after adding the turbo and before changing the T-19 out for a ZF5, I never got better than 13. I've only fueled the truck three times since changing trannies, but I got 17 on two tanks and 20 on the third (although #3 was a straight highway run and might be a fluke). This is with 4.10's and stock tires, BTW...and my highway EGT's generally run between 450 and 600...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
The Warden said:
What rear end gears does Goldie have?

She's running 4:10's with the stock 235/85R16's.
I was getting 13.86'ish before and am pushing 15mpg now. cookoo
Ya the fun factor is sweet but with no turbo I am sure the egt's will remain higher with less air than that of a turboed motor. I plan to get a ram air setup put on but have other priorities coming up( wood cutting for winter :puke: ) that will be higher up that air delivery.
Just kinda wierd that she did a u-turn on the mileage not really driving it any different than before.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Dont look a gift horse in the mouth maybee :Sly

Possibily that you don't need to depress the go pedal as far to get the same results as before, netting you better mileage.

Hey sounds good don't it,.... LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
Possibily that you don't need to depress the go pedal as far to get the same results as before, netting you better mileage.
Hey sounds good don't it,.... LOL

Ya it does Darrin, I kinda was thinking along that line cause with the noticeable power, it sure don't take as long to get up to cruising altitude if I stand on it :Sly .....or even just driving normal. :angel: :D

Russ....I haven't even touched the IP to move the timing since Mel got her under the scope. She's timed in GOOOOD! ;Sweet
Just a little more fuel and nothing more.

LDW

Reaction score
I have noticed that you get better fuel mileage if you go ahead and get it up to highway speeds quickly. The old saying, imagine an egg between your foot and the accelerator and move it up slowly doesn't seem to work with most diesels.

It seems that taking it up through the gears is what uses the fuel. Once you get it up to say 60 and hold it on a steady rpm it does a lot better. These engines seem to like to be hot and steady.

I think moving your ip up just allowed you to get to highway speeds easier and quicker and then once there you back off the pedal and cruise steady.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, any chance you accidentally released the parking brake after you did that pump turn up? LOL

northerncrewcab

Reaction score
I also started getting better mileage after turning up the pump. I was getting approx. 350kms per tank before and after turning up the pump i started getting about 380 kms a tank.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Ron, any chance you accidentally released the parking brake after you did that pump turn up? LOL

:idiot: :idiot: Maybe that's why the parking brake doesn't work. :D :rotflmao
Good to see ya brought yer sense of humor back Mel. :rolleyes: :moon:

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i got better milage after my pump turnup as well,but that was with the addition of a banks stinger kit ;Sweet :D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
The addition of a turbo is not very high right now, but I found a 35' fiver today for $3500...... A little big for the IDI but might be a good way to swing an air stuffer for more power. :Sly c :eek: :angel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle