Best Way to Stop Engine

jcork

Reaction score
If I put the rig in neutral and turn the key off, the engine puts a lot of torque on the transmission when it stops and rattles a good bit.

If I put it in gear and put a minor load on it, it will stop 'cleanly' (at least it seems that way).

Is there any disadvantage to shutting it down this way, short of some minor clutch wear?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting or shutting down, it is always best to have the transmission in NEUTRAL and the clutch engaged --- as in the pedal NOT pushed down.

Such is why those in the know dis-able that silly clutch "safety" switch. ;Sweet

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting or shutting down, it is always best to have the transmission in NEUTRAL and the clutch engaged --- as in the pedal NOT pushed down.

Such is why those in the know dis-able that silly clutch "safety" switch. ;Sweet

Why? Especially in cold weather, it's easier on the starter to not have to turn the transmission gears, hence disengage the clutch when starting. When stopping the engine, I agree. Leave the clutch engaged and transmission in neutral, but only to eliminate the embarrassment of engaging the clutch before the engine has completely stopped if the tranny is still in gear.

I'm curious as to why you made your statement.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why?

I'm curious as to why you made your statement.

If you are worried about turning a couple of gears in cold lube, a starter is a lot cheaper/easier to replace than the throw-out bearing, bearing-collar, pilot-bearing, main-shaft, and clutch fingers, all of which are under a terrible amount of stress while the engine is cranking and starting.

I have always done my cranking/starting as I described, putting over half-a-million miles on my old 6.9-I-H, and it still has the original never-been-off-the-engine starter, likewise everything else diesel around here.

I wish I could say the same about all the old Chevy gas-burners I've worn out; starters on them seldom made it through an oil-change interval. LOL