Best way to keep my EGT down?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the best way for me to keep my EGT down when towing? I don't tow much, and I haven't yet installed a pyro. It's on my list of upgrades, but it won't be until after the Hydro Boost, new rear tires/rims, IP and injectors, and installing the new seats. I'm getting ready to put a roof on the house, and I'll be borrowing a tandem trailer and a tractor with a set of forks on the front from a friend. I'm not worried too much about hauling the tractor on the trailer because it's under 5 miles from house to house. However, I'll be hauling 90+ sheets of OSB, and about 32 square of dimensional shingles from the lumber yard about 30 miles away via the interstate/highway. I'm planning on doing this in at least 2 trips because I don't think the trailer will handle all of it at once.

To keep my EGT down, do I run in 4th gear and keep my RPMs up (over 2K), or do I shift into 5th and try to keep it between 1600 and 1800 rpm (about 50 to 55mph). Either way, I'll probably take the back roads home from the lumber yard.

Thanks,
Mark

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your EGTs will be higher when you lug the engine. Higher rpm is generally more egt friendly (lower). But, I would get a pyro on it (they're cheap). You might not even have an egt issue.....

1994IDI

Reaction score
^^^^ x2. Keep the RPM's up (But not zinging). You'll be getting more air thourgh the cylinders.
If your route is relatively flat, and your not TRYING to smoke out the traffic behind you, I really don't think you'll have any problem with EGT's getting to high.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. The route is pretty flat, and except on start up, I have a hard time getting much smoke out of her. It will be a nice Sunday drive home.

Thanks,
Mark

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EGT's are a function of fuel, RPM, and air temp, but it's not a linear curve, and you will have to play with the pedal to find a sweet spot. Yes, lugging can increase EGT's, but so can RPM's. Sometimes backing out of the throttle and running a lower RPM, but lugging it a bit more will actually result in lower EGT's because you may be closer to the torque peak. Just drive by the pyro and experiment.

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not? Just keep an eye on the rpm's and egt's so long as you don't lug it, I tow in 5th all the time keeping the rpm's above 1500 or so.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You can tow in fifth. What your thinking is towing in overdrive with an automatic. Even then it's fine to tow in overdrive just as long as it's not shifting in and out of gears. Higher rpms is yhe general rule but I've also seen egts get to hot there

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I could have sworn that someone on here said its bad for the ZF5 because they dont lubricate enough to keep the trans cool while towing in 5th, but maybe im wrong

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I tow in overdrive all the time I can but... I have enough gauges to "watch" whats going on too...

Attachments

• DSC00193.jpg
    DSC00193.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 15