Best way to check exh manifold and turbo piping for leaks

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my truck seems down on power a bit, and I'm having a little more engine noise, slower response without any "bad" noises, increase in blowby or oil consumption so I'm thinking it might be related to an exhaust leak. I know some of you guys are good at tracking them down. Any suggestions?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soot.

If you see black/ dark spots it's an exhaust leak. With diesels they can seal small holes up on their own. You might smoke more with a turbo not at 100% but blowby shouldnt be affected. Maybe your engine itself is tired. How old are the fuel components?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
rk, although difficult to see, he said it had no more blowby/oil consumption.

I'd just look for soot like said otherwise here are some 5am suggestions.
1.smoke machine? Don't have one handy?
2. back off rockers so valves are closed, plug exhaust, put 10psi of air pressure into exhaust. (I'd use the pyro hole).
3. take off fan, dust exhaust with something white a fluffy: talc, corn starch, *******, etc. Fire up engine.

Seriously tho JD, get under the truck and have someone stab the skinny pedal for half a second (so it smokes black). It'll be pretty obvious if there is a leak. Easiest to check when everything is cold btw.

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rk, although difficult to see, he said it had no more blowby/oil consumption.

I'd just look for soot like said otherwise here are some 5am suggestions.
1.smoke machine? Don't have one handy?
2. back off rockers so valves are closed, plug exhaust, put 10psi of air pressure into exhaust. (I'd use the pyro hole).
3. take off fan, dust exhaust with something white a fluffy: talc, corn starch, *******, etc. Fire up engine.

Seriously tho JD, get under the truck and have someone stab the skinny pedal for half a second (so it smokes black). It'll be pretty obvious if there is a leak. Easiest to check when everything is cold btw.

That is a waste of good *******!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll look for soot marks and get up under when it's cold. I was able to see the leak at the turbo flange on my friend's PSD under those conditions. I would suspect the engine maybe tired but unless you have something like a split piston or bend the rods, that power loss won't be overnight. Also could be a dirty air filter, could be that she's just not happy with the hot hot weather. Also I haven't ruled out sticky brake pads/shoes. I have a lot to check and yesterday was the longest trip with the IDI in awhile. It just seems like everything is not quite right. Today and everyday in town it has more than enough power. I could also have noticed the lack of guts a lot more yesterday just because the terrain was very hilly (as Florida goes) and the speed limits were relatively high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin