Best Road Draft Tube design?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I sort of forgot my new turbo setup will require me to do a road draft tube. I'm interested in reading (and more importantly seeing pics) of your best RDT. I've seen a few of the good ole heater hose kinked over and vented below the axle. It seems to me that kink in the hose isn't such a good idea?

Has anyone tried just using some valve cover breathers instead? (maybe a bad idea given how much blowby these things can make?)

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll want it routed to the ground for certain, there's lots of oily mist coming out of these things. I've been running a 1.25" ID hose for about three years, and don't really care for it. My truck may have more than normal blowby (but I don't think so because I checked compression when I installed it and it was good), but it really fogs up traffic and comes in the windows too if the wind is right. I plan to route it into the exhaust soon, to help mix the vapor with exhaust gas so its less visible and possible burn some of it, and also use the exhaust to create a slight negative pressure in the crankcase. Check out this thread: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?20605-RDT-into-exhaust Before I went to 1.25" ID I was running 3/4 and I had bad oil leaks, without being kinked. The larger ID really helps it breathe out the tube instead of out the seals.

wmoguy

Reaction score
You'll want it routed to the ground for certain, there's lots of oily mist coming out of these things. I've been running a 1.25" ID hose for about three years, and don't really care for it. My truck may have more than normal blowby (but I don't think so because I checked compression when I installed it and it was good), but it really fogs up traffic and comes in the windows too if the wind is right. I plan to route it into the exhaust soon, to help mix the vapor with exhaust gas so its less visible and possible burn some of it, and also use the exhaust to create a slight negative pressure in the crankcase. Check out this thread: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?20605-RDT-into-exhaust Before I went to 1.25" ID I was running 3/4 and I had bad oil leaks, without being kinked. The larger ID really helps it breathe out the tube instead of out the seals.

Thx! Routing into the exhaust won't be a possibility for me given my exhaust will be pressurized (remote mount turbo) I guess I'll have to stick to the RDT

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran mine straight down through the front suspension at first. If I let the truck sit idling for any length of time with the heater on, it would start pulling the fumes into the cab. I have since extended it back to exiting next to the transfer case (just because that's the length of hose I had), and it is now much better.
I pulled the cover plate off of the front of the IP gear cover, and used the plate for a pattern on a piece of 1/4" aluminum that I drilled and tapped for a 1" NPT brass elbow and fitting for the 1" hose.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I need to snap a pic of mine someday. Kinda embarassed since it looks like crap and its sits next to my ether injection system. But i took a 1 quart paint can, put a drain **** on the bottom of it and jb welded it in. In the lid is a 1"OD inlet which has a 3in tube which forces the vapor to the bottom of the can. I stuffed the can (not too tightly) with steel wool and on the other side of the top is another 1"OD outlet and the hose follows over to the passenger side behind the front tire. I don't have any visible smoke and very little smell. I drain the can every 1500 miles and i'll pick up 1/2 a cup of oil or so out of the can. Works great for me.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I sort of forgot my new turbo setup will require me to do a road draft tube. I'm interested in reading (and more importantly seeing pics) of your best RDT. I've seen a few of the good ole heater hose kinked over and vented below the axle. It seems to me that kink in the hose isn't such a good idea?

Has anyone tried just using some valve cover breathers instead? (maybe a bad idea given how much blowby these things can make?)

Do NOT kink the hose!
Below is a picture of a dodge (Cummins) that over pressurized the crankcase from a kinked RDT tube. Oil was below the dipstick by the time he got it off the freeway and pulled it over.
You must be registered for see images attach

Disclaimer, I do not know the owner of this truck personally, just offered to help out a stranded motorist, and found the problem.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I need to snap a pic of mine someday. Kinda embarassed since it looks like crap and its sits next to my ether injection system. But i took a 1 quart paint can, put a drain **** on the bottom of it and jb welded it in. In the lid is a 1"OD inlet which has a 3in tube which forces the vapor to the bottom of the can. I stuffed the can (not too tightly) with steel wool and on the other side of the top is another 1"OD outlet and the hose follows over to the passenger side behind the front tire. I don't have any visible smoke and very little smell. I drain the can every 1500 miles and i'll pick up 1/2 a cup of oil or so out of the can. Works great for me.

This sounds great! I'd be very appreciative of pics soon as possible on this design!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
We did the same thing on my buddy's Mercedes turbo diesel across the street. Maybe i'll take a pic of his since he atleast started with a NEW paint can. LOL. I made do with what i had at the time, which happened to be empty orange paint cans from painting my truck.

wmoguy

Reaction score
We did the same thing on my buddy's Mercedes turbo diesel across the street. Maybe i'll take a pic of his since he atleast started with a NEW paint can. LOL. I made do with what i had at the time, which happened to be empty orange paint cans from painting my truck.

Cool! Heck even a drawn diagram would be awesome. I think I get the jist of what you did, but want to be certain before I start messing with this.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have yet to come up with a system that uses the stock CDR can but I want to extend the tube that goes into the intake to spread the vapors evenly between the 8 cylinders, instead of dumping them right over #7 and #8 cylinders.