Best place to buy rebuild kit

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer I may give Beans Diesel over in woodbury a call a see what they say too. Heck they might know the guy you are talking about.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys I need a little more advice. I think I know the answer to this but here it goes. If I pull the heads can I reuse the headbolts or do I have to get new ones? I can't find any head studs that I can afford and the felpro head bolts are like $200. All this stuff is starting to add up more than I thought. Starting to wonder if this truck is ever going to go down the road again.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
im pretty sure you can re use them dont hold me too it, and if you do decide not to re use your engine, i think you said something about a cummins earlier i would like to try to get that 7.3 from you

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to do a 12 valve swap but that ain't in the cards right now. Just gotta get her back on the road. Heck before its all over I may end up over at your place getting some help. LOL You are about an 1 1/2 from me.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I would love to do a 12 valve swap but that ain't in the cards right now. Just gotta get her back on the road. Heck before its all over I may end up over at your place getting some help. LOL You are about an 1 1/2 from me.

if you need some parts let me know i will look and see if i got it, cause i got alot of stuff

mj05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pic is alittle small, but from what I can see, that is one sharp truck! ;Sweet Hope you get her goin!

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pic is alittle small, but from what I can see, that is one sharp truck! ;Sweet Hope you get her goin!

Man this is an awesome truck. When I bought her she was tight and ran great then one thing led to another and now she has been in the garage for 3 years. It is one of the best looking CC's I have seen.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well tomorrow I am going to do the compression test and check the glow plugs and all the other stuff to check and then try to find all the sources of the leaks and go from there. Wish me luck.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the motor still in? Most of my leaks on these things have been valve covers and oil coolers. Neither would warrant a rebuild in my book.
I have used Cumberland machine shop in Winchester with good success in the past. I haven't had them do diesel engine work, but they have had no trouble with the gasser heads I have taken them, and pesky things like stepped flywheels. They are not the cheapest around, but they know their stuff. If they can't do it I think they would be able to send you to someone who could.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its still in right now. I don't think the oil cooler is leaking and the valve covers are seeping a little but not causing the main leak. I am losing a lot of oil from somewhere so I got to find it.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a 1500 lbs engine stand from pepboys is what i used it works fine and held the whole turbo motor and a box of parts that had to be removed to take the engine out
and you can get a good price on it if you watch for it i got mine about 50bucks on sale
yes you can reuse headbolts they are NOT torque to yeild (the ones you cant reuse)
youres is a turbo so maybe deck the pistons a bit or something to get lower compression and run more boost
the leak is probally the rear main you can drop the tranny and do it that way i think

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know on the head bolts. I wasn't sure and they are expensive. I'll keep ya'll posted on what I find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online