Best place to buy rebuild kit

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think I have pretty much decided that I am going to pull the motor out of the truck this winter and go through it. As long as compression is good all I am going to do is change all the gaskets and fix all the leaks. Where is the best place to get a gasket set that will come with everything I am going to need? Part numbers would be good too guys. Thanks.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my pistons from northern autoand they came with rings, .020, bored the motor .020, new gasket set, new mains and rods. This was altogether around 1000 and it was well worth it, motor is very tight sounding. The gasket set I got was a felpro, kinda expensive but oh well, 250.00.

With 198,000 miles the compression might still be good, but there could be a little rust in the sidewalls(cavitation). If I was you I would bore it and get new pistons. If you dont, at least go to the trouble of getting new rings, just my opinion.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if I knew of a good shop around here I might think about getting some machine work done. The only god shop we had just went out of business. $1000 isn't bad for a fresh op end I guess. If I have to start throwing much more than that at it I am just going to slap a Cummins in it and be done with it. My main goal right now is getting all the leaks fixed.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was that a Ford dealer or a diesel shop?

I have a 2nd question. Will a 2 ton engine hoist pick the motor out? Will a 2000lb. stand hold it?

Last edited:

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I priced a rebuild kit from the dealership I work at and it was right at a grand, complete. gaskets to glow plugs its all there.

punk

But that doesn't include any machining work, which is something I would most likely do after 200,000 miles.

Yes a 2,000 pound hoist and stand will do it, I think the engine weighs around 1200.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Navistar (International) has a complete gasket kit, that's what I used. I can't remember what I paid for it, but I remember it being reasonable.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is another question how good are the reman engines? Would I be better off and cheaper to just buy a motor thats already redone? I guess I need to get some prices on machine work I just don't trust any of our shops here.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would be alot cheaper to rebuild it your self a reman cost about 4000/5000

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea that is what I am finding out. I am going to have to do some homework on machine shops. thanks for all the help guys. I plan on this being my last truck so I am trying to get it back to daily driver status.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya a good machine shop is important i only had 2 chose from i used the the 1 that has been open the longest i figured they had to be doing somthining right lol if you get the complete gasket set itshould have the o rings 4 the oil cooler

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Well here is another question how good are the reman engines? Would I be better off and cheaper to just buy a motor thats already redone? I guess I need to get some prices on machine work I just don't trust any of our shops here.

i know were there is a machine shop around mooneyham tennessee on the other side of fall creek falls state park, its a small one man machine shop but the guy does good work and is very trust worthy, he is a dirt track driver also, his name is Tony nichols, might be worth looking him up is you want your motor redone

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Yea that would be a good idea. Thats not that far away from me. You know how to get hold of him?

i have absolutly no idea how to get ahold of him, i asked my stepdad but he lost his number so really im not sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online