best place for gaskets

hmadhopper

Reaction score
im getting ready to order a gasket set for my truck. is there any good places on the net to get a complete gasket set for the 7.3?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Northern auto parts in Iowa usually has the best price on the Felpro gaskets. Falconglobal in Florida has some good prices too... Just don't buy or use the oil pan gasket... They will leak... Even the factory didn't use a gasket but felt rtv was good enough... It has worked well for me for many years....

Last edited:

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we are doing a head gasket here pretty quick. I just recently priced out the parts at rockauto.com, and the local autozone, pepboys, kragen, napa, etc. for the felpor kit and the intake gasket.

For whatever reason I am coming up with kragen being cheaper at the end of the day.

I used to see deals on various brands on ebay, but of course when I need them they are nowhere to be found :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you want to get professional grade instead of consumer grade gaskets, you have Car Quest stores all over the St Louis area and they Carry Victor Reinz gaskets. You won't be sorry.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Victor Reinz head gasket set (HS-3789) on eBay from Reliant Gasket for $79. I'll be getting the Victor Reinz valley pan as well (MS-15968) this week. I got the oil cooler gaskets/o-rings from Ford.

I've had great results with Felpro's, but I thought I'd give the VR gaskets a try on the 6.9.

Heath

Last edited:

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the Victor Reinz valley pan from the same folks, $45.;Sweet

Heath

Wow my ebay searching skills suck it seems :) Thanks for sharing that, for me considering shipping and tax you actually saved me money going through this guy :)

So this brings up some questions for this newb.

Why do I see these sets mention this? exhaust valve seals with with long oil shield not included

Is this some more parts I will have to buy seperately to do a basic head gasket job?

I know I need the intake gasket as well, but if I have good compression and everything goes ok, what if anything else should be replaced while we have our heads off? This would be nice to know before I pull everything apart.

Also what is the procedure for this type of gasket set. Does anybody use that hylomar or copper gasket spray stuff?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow my ebay searching skills suck it seems :) Thanks for sharing that, for me considering shipping and tax you actually saved me money going through this guy :)

So this brings up some questions for this newb.

Why do I see these sets mention this? exhaust valve seals with with long oil shield not included

Is this some more parts I will have to buy seperately to do a basic head gasket job?

I know I need the intake gasket as well, but if I have good compression and everything goes ok, what if anything else should be replaced while we have our heads off? This would be nice to know before I pull everything apart.

As far as eBay: search for "6.9 diesel" and you'll find the Reliant gasket listings for the head set and the valley pan. That is if you have a 6.9. If you have a 7.3, search for 7.3 IDI diesel, or just search for Reliant gasket.

Also what is the procedure for this type of gasket set. Does anybody use that hylomar or copper gasket spray stuff?

I'm going to send the heads for pressure testing and manaflux'ing before reinstalling. I'll have then check the seats and replace the valve guides while they have it there. I'm not sure what is ment by the "long oil shield".:dunno

I have some hylomar that I'll spray on the head and intake gaskets. I'm installing head studs as well. These steps should prevent any headgasket issues in the future.

I'd also rebuild the oil cooler with new o-rings while you have the heads off. Much easier to do it then than later when there is a leak.

Heath

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
International (Navistar) has a complete set, that's what I bought, comes with the rtv and everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online