Best Injectors?

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it looks like we may need injectors on the IDI project. Its running not-so-great and we are starting to poing fingers at the injectors, which brings me to my question.

Where is the best place to buy injectors, and which code is the best. I see alot of people advertising the fact that they have BB code injectors. Are these better then the rest? BTW its a 91 7.3 with a banks turbo.

Do you think it could be a timing issue and the pump needs rotated?

Also if the injectors are bad would it cause alot of blow-by? I hope so cause my brother says it looks like he's purging NOS out his breather! :rotflmao

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
PM agnem or typ4 for a great set of BB code pressure matched injectors. Many members here are runing them with great results.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad injectors won't be the cause of blowby, that would be sticky rings from lots of carbon buildup ( lack of use, lots of light duty and short trips) worn rings (mechanical damage, worn smooth out) or a hole in the pistons. Is the blowby pretty even or to the "tune" of one or a couple cylinders. Blowby is normal, particularly on higher mileage diesels. If it's not a mechanical problem and just carboned up 2 treatments of Auto-RX will help, anywhere from a little to completely fixing it, but obviously if there is a mechanical problem you either have to live with it or tear down the engine and fix. As far as the injectors, pretty much all codes have been superseded to "BB" non turbo or "G" for 'performance and emissions.' Most here would rather have the BB codes, and think the G codes were for emissions reasons, but I have had a fuel injection guy that I highly respect swear up and down that the G codes will deliver more fuel than BB codes. Personally I have a matched set of remans that pop within 100 psi of 2000. they're a mix of U-Haul and Pensacola Diesel remans. They were cheap but I had to buy 2 sets to get 8 matched and 2 reasonably good spare injectors. Russ and Mel sell a quality product, I liked the remans for the fact that I wouldn't have to worry as much about them changing pop pressure and spray pattern as the spring gets worn in. To be fair Russ also can hook you up with remans if I'm not mistakenand I'd rather deal with him any day, also he offers to reset new ones purchased from him for you after 5K miles. The ones I bought were just cheap and I had access to testing them, so I pulled the trigger. Honestly, any product from those guys is going to be good most likely, but I don't put a lot of stock in one code or the other of injectors. You just need to get ones with a good spray pattern and at minimum within 200 psi of each other but preferably within 50-100 psi. The only injectors that really are very different are Moose Misters which are really expensive, but good or DPS Stage 1s which have had some QC issues in the past.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the motor probably hasn't been ran for at least a year. Do you think thats our problem? Will it go away as it warms up or after we get it runnin for a while?

I have a means to pop test the injectors. Is the pop pressure the only important thing about them or do I have to worry about plunger to case wear and/or fuel by-passing and going to the return? Where can I get shims to adjust the pressure and what should the pressure be set at. If I ramp the pressure up a bit will I get better atomization or will I just be putting to much stress on the pump.

Sorry I have so many questions, I'm just new to the whole IDI scene.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
If you buy from Russ or Mel, you will get a set that is matched up. BB code seems to be the best.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
If it's been sitting for a year it is a very good possibility that the cylinders have a glaze on them not letting the rings seal the combustion gasses as effectively.....Just like goes with a fresh rebuild.....run the hell out of it....a quart or two of ATF into the filter/fuel tank probably wouldn't hurt either.

x2 on the typ4 or agnem injectors.....but I really think the issue is glazed over cylinder walls, stuck rings, coked rings, or all the above.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we replaced the head gaskets and the cylinders didn't have much cross haatch left. So I'm not shocked it has alot of blowby.