Best injectors for. . .

RedTruck

Reaction score
Calvin,

I think all stock pumps deliver the same basic pressure. Line pressure is pretty much dictated by the injector crack pressure. I think stock pump variations come into play with the advance curves and fuel settings.

I believe that you are correct with the IP and down pipe being the limiting factors on the Turbo IDI...Like ICanFixAll Said

Really to clear up any questions you have about the G code injectors I'd just talk to a good standyne pump rebuilder. The person I use suggested that I go with G code injectors next time around, but I've got a turbo and intercooler and haven't got anywhere near 1000 degrees pulling a good sized load.

Good luck,

Paul

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have herd of a rumor that Ford went with a turbo id knowing they had the powerstroke coming out in 6 months. So they detuned the turbo idi so buyers would buy the newer powerstroke when it was on the lots. Remember the flattened down pipe??? Just another way big business "guides us" to what they want us to buy or believe.... Just a rumor I have been aware of for some time.

To "tune" the IDI for lots more power you have to run a pyrometer. The improved power of the PSD wasn't a sales tactic, it was the reality of using computer control to keep EGT's under control.

Not to mention that a "turned up" IDI would not pass emissions.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I don't know what everyone else does, but I used to set my injectors to pop at about 2100-2200psi....& set them to all pop pretty even at what ever # I selected.
Last time I did 'em I set them to pop at 1900 because after talking round couple places, it seemed to make some sense that the IP worked harder & shorter life to keep pop pressure up vs. lower pop pressure.
However, I also tend to run nearly anything liquid that has a flammable smell to it too.....:D :D
And sometimes I get to playing round with one of my IP to see how much smoke it will make & how much the tires will gnaw the ground & quiver.
But I did learn one thing last year! When 'ya crank the pump up & get to playing round making things quiver, especially with a hi-miler DMflywheel, 'ya can make the clutch start slipping & nearly quit pulling!
Always catches 'ya at a bad time too!!!:eek: :eek:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would defintely agree that the turbo IDI was turned down. When we added the turbo to the Lady Moose, which runs a factory calibration pump, we did not turn the pump up, and I guarantee you the HP went up a lot more than 10, and the EGT's came down 300 degrees.