Best injectors for. . .

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K. I have read a lot about injector codes, but what does the code mean and what code is best for power, economy, just best?:dunno
I dunno much about PO work done, so I am thinking I may need this info soon.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Some info I had from TDS:

AA -....CAV.....- early '83 6.9. 2100 lbs crack pressure.
.......................Injector pump needs to be matched to the tip.

A - Stanadyne - Same as above

BB -....CAV.....- Late '83 early '84 6.9. 2100 lbs crack pressure.
.......................Injector pump needs to be matched to the tip.

B - Stanadyne - Same as above.

D - Stanadyne - Late '84 through '86 6.9. 1900 lbs crack pressure.
.......................Injector pump doesn't need to be matched.
.......................Costs less than the AA A BB B ... about $32/piece.
.......................Some believe that turning the crack pressure up -
.......................to 2000-2100lbs produces more power. If you -
.......................do this make sure you retime after you're done.

E - Stanadyne - 92.5 to 93.5 7.3.

G - Stanadyne - 93.5 to 94 7.3 IDI Turbo.

Someone else may be able to fill in the holes. I did some checking with my injector pump man on these items. The crack pressures are the values he use at his shop.

As with anything on the internet, use this information at your own risk.

Happy injecting,

Paul

As far as performance and economy with stock injectors...I don't know that anyone has really documented any information thus far. There have been quite a few posts related to mileage. You could search for those threads and see who has the same setup as you and good mileage and ask them what code injectors they run. As far as I know everyone that runs stock injectors either runs G code or D code. The turbo injectors are suppose to flow more. Ken @ DPS diesel has some aftermarket (so to speak) injectors that are performance injectors. If you can wait a while you might want to see how Mel's business venture goes with his new "Moose Line" of performance products.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know you had to match BB injectors to the IP. I am currently running 6 month old Delphi BB's with a rebuilt 86 pump. I have always run BB's in my truck. Is the combo I'm running hurting (or increasing?) my truck's power potential? Would it be worth it to switch to D code injectors?

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rereading the TDS info (more thoroughly), it looks like I may be able to make more power if I re-time it (Advance the timing perhaps)?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's crap! I think the only injectors that should be matched to the pumps are the G codes. I have used D code and BB I would always use the BB unless I was using Gs or some modified stuff.

RedTruck

Reaction score
The information that I quoted came directly from a second generation authorized standyne diesel injection shop. If you don't mind my asking, what are your credentials Diesel JD?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for evidence that the G codes are actually beneficial. They came out for the turbo IDI, and were dubbed "emissions" injectors. That tells me that they burn cleaner, or possibly flow LESS. After all, the turbo IDI was 10HP more than a non turbo, and I can tell you for a fact, that you get more than 10HP by just adding a turbo, and NOT TOUCHING the pump. I think the whole G code thing was to make the PSD look good. Nothing good comes from anything with the conotation of being emissions related.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm in need of new injectors too, So if the g code are more of emission injector (less fuel my .02 cents) what is the better injector then?

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
With all this pump mathcing and stuff I got to thinking. Do the pumps that are matched to the A, AA, B, and BB injectors put out more PSI? If they do and you used them on the lower D injectors would you maybe flow more fuel? Could this be a way to get more power with "stock" parts?

Calvin

Got some more info now. Seems the higher crack pressure results in a better fuel atomization. This makes sence and may also give an indicator as to them possibly makeing more power.

I also got some informed thoughts on the "G" injectors. I guess the crack pressures are in the 2100 - 2200 range. Also the orifice is larger. What this means is that they flow more with the larger hole and they have good fuel atomization do to the higher crack pressure. His thoughts on why the factory turbo motor ony had 10hp more is the IP was turned way down.

Anyway I think I know where I am going to get my injectors when the time comes. It also seems he can rework them for more power if needed but thinks that they can deliver more than the engine can burn with the right pump.

Calvin

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no credentials...maybe I am full of crap! I simply have never heard of having to match any nozzles to a particular pump except the "G" code. As of now I have the CAV BB injectors with a DB24812 pump turned up about halfway. Once the truck is timed dynamically and all the fuel leaks are corrected I'll get a better idea if this is a good combination or not. Previously I had always been told just to make sure all the injectors match each other, for instance its not the best idea to put a "BB" in with a set of "D" injectors, which I did..oops!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have herd of a rumor that Ford went with a turbo id knowing they had the powerstroke coming out in 6 months. So they detuned the turbo idi so buyers would buy the newer powerstroke when it was on the lots. Remember the flattened down pipe??? Just another way big business "guides us" to what they want us to buy or believe.... Just a rumor I have been aware of for some time.

RedTruck

Reaction score
I have no credentials...maybe I am full of crap! I simply have never heard of having to match any nozzles to a particular pump except the "G" code. As of now I have the CAV BB injectors with a DB24812 pump turned up about halfway. Once the truck is timed dynamically and all the fuel leaks are corrected I'll get a better idea if this is a good combination or not. Previously I had always been told just to make sure all the injectors match each other, for instance its not the best idea to put a "BB" in with a set of "D" injectors, which I did..oops!

All good. I have seen a lot of guys running the A's and B's without matching the pump to the injectors, and without having any problems. Good luck with your rig.

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online