Best fuel filter?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Heres the story. I was having a leak by the petcock valve on the bottom plate, not the valve itself but the one that looks like a tire valve. So I took it apart, and the filter was dirty so I figured it must have built up pressure being dirty and started forcing fuel out of it. I cleaned it with some carb cleaner and it looks good now.

Went around town and all the ones I seen at Advanced and O'Reilly had plastic threads for the bottom. Is there a all metal one? Do need to go to a IH dealer? Part numbers would be of help. Also what about the kind that have the drain as part of the filter?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not real sure what petcock your refering to on the bottom of the filters. What filter are you talking bout. I use the motorcraft type fuel filters. They work fine. Really never open the drian for water either. Never see the dash filter lite come on either. Might be getting nice clean fuel on the west coast..:dunno

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Wix makes a fuel filter with integrated drain valve so you can ditch the water valve assembly. Forget the P/N but autozone or wherever will have it on their webpage.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Ok, got some pics here.
You must be registered for see images attach

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
idk, all i can tell you is i go to napa cuz i get a good discount, and tell em i want a filter for my 87 6.9 diesel, never had a problem yet

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Found out the filter from International wont work. Its a completely different design. It has a cartridge where the filter drops into it then snaps into the base (or top). Not sure if you could convert, but not worth it.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Going to go with a NAPA filter. But I need to know if its P/N: FIL 3417 or FIL 3617? The guy on the phone said 3417. However the description for 3617 says "Complete spin-on w/ drain & sensor port (sensor is 7/16-20) – eliminates the plastic bowl." I have the sensor plug on the truck and it was plugged in. I guess I have to take the old one up there and check them out.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's how the codes work: WIX 33217 is the original element replacement, using the metal IH bowl. 33417 has an integrated bowl with a drain petcock. 33617 adds the threaded port to screw in the sensour from your old bowl, to activate the WIF light on the dash. For the NAPA part numbers, just take away a 3 in front of them, so the numbers are 3217, 3417, and 3617.

I run a 33417 because I don't have the same WIF setup due to mine being a 6.9, I swapped headers. Once I get the new circuit wired, I'll be running a 33617. I actually have another bowl from the header I got, PM me if you're interested. Honestly though, I'd definitely go with the 33417 or 33617, that way the valve that can leak can be replaced for the cost of another filter.

The leaking port on the bottom is not a petcock, it's the Schrader valve on the bottom, I've never really understood what it's for, maybe another bleeder valve?

Reaction score
OK, everything I'm about to list is applicable to the 7.3 in my 91. If you have a 6.9, the numbers are likely different. That being said:

WIX 33217 is the OE replacement. It accepts the metal bowl from the original setup, so the original WIF sensor doesn't move and therefore should work same as always

WIX 33417 replaces the stock filter with a one-piece design. It has a drain but does NOT have a provision for the sensor. I've been running this one in my truck for the last 2 years with no issue.

WIX 33617 is similar to 33417 but DOES have a provision for the OE WIF sensor, assuming the threads on the OE sensor are 7/16-20

WIX 33805 is the same thing as 33617, but the threads for the sensor are 1/2-20

My understanding is that NAPA filters are re-badged WIX filters. To get the NAPA PN, remove the first '3' (so the NAPA equivalent of 33417 is just 3417). I let NAPA bend me over a barrel for the filter I have on there now (like $40 or so), but it turns out you can get the WIX version online all day long for close to half that. Won't make that same mistake again.

Mike

Reaction score
Okay, here's how the codes work: WIX 33217 is the original element replacement, using the metal IH bowl. 33417 has an integrated bowl with a drain petcock. 33617 adds the threaded port to screw in the sensour from your old bowl, to activate the WIF light on the dash. For the NAPA part numbers, just take away a 3 in front of them, so the numbers are 3217, 3417, and 3617.

I run a 33417 because I don't have the same WIF setup due to mine being a 6.9, I swapped headers. Once I get the new circuit wired, I'll be running a 33617. I actually have another bowl from the header I got, PM me if you're interested. Honestly though, I'd definitely go with the 33417 or 33617, that way the valve that can leak can be replaced for the cost of another filter.

The leaking port on the bottom is not a petcock, it's the Schrader valve on the bottom, I've never really understood what it's for, maybe another bleeder valve?

Ha! That's what happens when I take forever to write a post!

Mike

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people run the 3417 to eliminate the leak prone screw on bottom piece. I suppose adding the WIF sensor would be a good idea, but it is not "needed"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online