BEST CLUTCH KIT FOR ME

motorbreath53

lucky sob....
Reaction score
My ZF5 speed is being blown apart right now at the local trans shop (AGAIN), and I want to do a new clutch while its out. I have a cheap SMF conversion that I stuck in while in school (low $$$). It sucks out loud. Chattering in reverse unless I use 4low, chatters in 1st from a stop once its warm, etc... and god forbid I need to start on a hill with my trailer ( 30ft toy hauler full of buggy/bikes/beer)

So, long story short, I want a smoother engaging clutch, that will still hold up to my towing. I don't race the truck, or sled pull. This is just a DD tow rig.

These what i'm considering. Any warnings, or words of advice?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SBB-1944324K/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-DF305828/

My truck is still set up as described in my sig, but if my quad sells soon, it will be sporting rebuilt axles front and rear with 4.88's.

You must be registered for see images attach

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Call up Fort Wayne Clutch. They have excellent customer service and really good prices. I saw a full SMF conversion go for 320 the other day on their eBay store....What type of cheap SMF did you do? Oh, and don't feel bad...my clutch just started slipping (again) this will be the FIFTH time I've removed it (nonrelated issues)...I'm getting to be a pro at this. 45 minutes with hand tools and by myself for removal.....

motorbreath53

lucky sob....
Reaction score
I've read about those guys, and I haven't heard anything bad at all.... I'm just concerned about down time. I know if I order from summit, the parts will be in the mail as soon as the payment clears. Any consistent failures or problems with either?

I will call Fort Wayne in the morning to get an idea of $$$ and time...

as for the Centerforce and Southbend kits.... whats the verdict? Anyone with experiance in either?

thanks for the help.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Call Ft Wayne Clutch and get a Kevlar Clutch Setup, Go with a 12 1/4" setup, may require a different flywheel or taking yours to a machine shop for some redrilling, but it's worth it if you dont alreadyu have that size, if you have an 11 in in there now, you dont want that setup, you only get 4 or 5 springs, the larger disc gets twice as many springs . I've been running those things for a number of years now and they perform perfectly and i tow HEAVY on a regular basis Centerforce are a racing clutch, not built for longevity

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
With his SMF, why can't he just use the F-SuperDuty disk? It's got 10 springs...I never even thought about redrilling a flywheel to fit a larger clutch set....I wonder if that would work on a 4spd flywheel.