Best Batteries?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the optimas were junk around the vibration of a diesel?
Or has something changed in the last few years?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Not sure what your MOS is Jasper but have ya looked under the battery cover of any LMTV or LTAS? They are all dry glass mat batteries. Most of the new m1165,1152 and 1167's I've seen are all dry batteries. I remember in AIT the instructor said dry batteries can take a couple rounds of 7.62 and still last all day were the lead acids would fry in under an hour with all the fluid drained from bullet holes.

Now I will say what I don't like about the AGM's is once they're dead, they are almost impossible to recharge and hold a charge.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
From what I understood is they went away from the optimas. May still be a agm, but I haven't seen any optimas.

Even around the powerstroke forums, many people had issues with the optimas.
That's not to say other agms don't work fine.
I have one in the jetta. I believe it's the super start platinum.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on never flatlining a AGM battery of any brand. they don't have the acid capacity to come back to 100% at all. they'll take bullets all day long and not catch fire though or do anything toxic to the human, but don't flatline it.
i've even tried their "deep cycle " models and they still sucked.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AGM batteries are supposed to be more vibration resistant than plate batteries...that's sort of the point...besides the fact that they are much lighter than plate batteries of = CA/CCA. My first set of Optima Reds lasted 6 years. When it was time to replace them I was convinced, by a buddy, to try the O'reilley brand AGM ... had them 3 years no issues

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
AGM batteries are supposed to be more vibration resistant than plate batteries...that's sort of the point...besides the fact that they are much lighter than plate batteries of = CA/CCA. My first set of Optima Reds lasted 6 years. When it was time to replace them I was convinced, by a buddy, to try the O'reilley brand AGM ... had them 3 years no issues
Correct. Read my other post.

Another thing you have to watch for is charging voltage.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Correct. Read my other post.

Another thing you have to watch for is charging voltage.

I hear ya.
What I said different than your post is that my Optima Reds lasted 6 years in my daily driver.
Granted, I don't live in Siberia but sometimes it feels like the Sahara (I've been to Juarez a few times, I understand your weather too). I was happy with my Optima purchase, and I'm cheap. They absolutely did cost more at the counter, but they lasted forever.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep. And you know, it could come back to the whole x amount of years ago, they could have had better quality. Happens all the time. Company's are always selling out to cut costs.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep. And you know, it could come back to the whole x amount of years ago, they could have had better quality. Happens all the time. Company's are always selling out to cut costs.

Could be. It certainly happens. On that note, I'll say that I'm perfectly happy with the (6 year newer) O'reilley brand...can't remember the name right now. For the difference in $ I'd probably go with a store branded AGM again.

sonictech.net

Reaction score
Stopped by a Cat dealer and they're having a sale. $160 each for 1000cca group 31s.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running 2 interstate econo power group 65 batteries. Working great and can't beat the price @ $38 apiece. Got them at an interstate distributor in the Bay Area.
I think the key to battery longevity is a battery tender if your vehicle sits for any period of time. I got one hooked up on my rig 24/7 and happy with how the setup works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online