best batteries for 88 350 7.3

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
The higher the CCA's the better. I dont know what all those group #s are, but I heard of people using group 31's in their trucks. I think those are bigger batteries for tractors, heavy equip. and what have ya. They are also more expensive IIRC.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
need two new batteries been cold in ct ,plus plow does not help

Get two Group-31S if you want no-non-sense cranking power with lots of bottom.;Sweet

There is another recent battery thread that covers this in depth; look it up and read it = lots of good info.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the G31's at Carquest. When I was checking around in my area, they had the best price. But I was shopping for a semi truck that uses 4 batteries and I wanted the most 'umph' for the buck.

A friend bought some from Costco. IIRC, they were 950 or 1000 CCA. He's been happy with them. At the time, that was the best price he could find in this area.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Optima Yellow top batteries. I have put mine through a ton of abuse in my rockcrawler, and it takes a LOT of heavy winching to bring it down. They are expensive, but its cheap insurance imho ;Sweet

02AutoWag

Reaction score
I believe it was said the 87 and newer trucks will not accept the 31 batteries without modifying the battery trays. The 31 batteries are a little too tall and are danerously close (if not touching) the hood.

I verified this on my 1989 with a 31 battery...positive post on driver side has a little clearance due to the interior shaping of the hood, but the negative post on the driver side is basically touching the hood. I did not try to fit the passenger side battery, so don't know if there are any issues with that side. I was told that a little rubber insulating pad could be thrown over the positive post to prevent any contact/melting of the positive post with the hood.

The 86 and older trucks reportedly have a different hood shape that allows a direct drop in of those larger 31 batteries with plenty of clearance.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 31s WILL fit the 87 and later trucks(for I have put them in several), but the posts/terminals are somewhat close to the hood, therefore a piece of tire-sidewall, thick plastic, mud-flap, or the like should either be zip-tied over the HOT posts, or riveted/screwed to the bottom side of the hood in the area over the battery.

Actually, this is good practice on any battery in any vehicle.

You can also re-mount the battery trays lower.

Or, a big hammer can be used to re-arrange the ribs under the hood.LOL

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I have two 1000CA/850CCA Interstates in my pickup and they worked great when I had to keep trying to start my pickup in -10F temps. I really would recommend them to someone who needs a good battery. These really impressed me!!!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have the 31s in my 92, no problem. I did notch the ends of my batt trays down and the batts came with those nifty plastic full coverage nuts for the positive studs so that pretty well takes care of the arcing to the hood worries

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What is your budget for your batteries???? There is no sense of everyone recommending a high priced battery if it exceeds your budget....

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been buying factory-seconds/appearance-blems, as in scratch and dent, Group-31S for a number of years now, and have had good success with them.

I have two or three sources, but usually easiest is to buy them straight off the Interstate route-truck for about forty-bucks each.

I can live with a few skinned places for 1/3 the price.;Sweet