Belt Squeal Help!

Babe

Reaction score
1993 7.3 IDI, when i first start the truck there are no noises comming from the belt, if u rev up the motor it squeals like crazy! sounds horrible! also whe u are driving u wont hear it untill u hit 2000 RPM's in first through 4 gear. in 5 gear at 2200 RPM's i dont hear the squeal. like i said its most noticable when im idiling and try to rev up the motor in neutral. im assuming its belt pulleys? any input would help[, allong with where i can get belt pulleys for my truck>> thanks guys

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, not sure what is going on squeal like you describe sounds like a bearing, could be the alternator.

How about removing the belt and then checking the various components individually, this should help you find the issue.

How are the Idler and the tensioner?

What pulley's are you referring to needing?

Any parts store should have some of what you need, I'd personally recommend an OEM tensioner and idler myself, they seem to last longest.

Good luck with your search.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Being a 93 model year engine it should have a serpentine belt. If so how many miles are on the belt. Please answer these questions so we know what belt you have for sure. any engine can end up in any truck. Even and early 6.9 with V belts.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would start by removing the belt and making sure nothing is seizing up.
Had a vacuum pump do exactly that.
Belt/tensioner could be bad also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest ordering http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-69913.html if you want to check for bearing noise with the engine running. Just put the tip near the pulley on the component you want to check and listen for white noise, this is a smooth running bearing. Anything else and you should hand check the bearing for squealing and gritty feelings with the belt removed and replace if so.

What is posted above is all good solid information to work with.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a great price on the stethoscope. I usualy use a large screwdriver to listen for bearing sounds. Its a learned trade..

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
could check for discoloration on the pulleys, the one that looks like it's been heated with a torch in the past around the outside is the one that's slipping