Bellhousing won't come off the block...

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
84 F-350, 6.9, T19, 4WD. Doing a clutch. Got the trans and t-case off in one piece. Removed all of the bolts from the bellhousing. The bellhousing will pry off on the starter side but is stuck at the 10 o'clock position. I'm I missing something? Is there a secret handshake or something that I'm not aware of?? Talk about frustrated! :mad:

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be 6 bellhousing bolts. If you have all of them out it must be hung up on the dowel pin.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
Thanks all! Yup - all 6 bolts are off. Damn thing is not budging. I've sprayed everything down - so will wait a bit before trying for the umpteenth time... I have a thin prybar in between the block and bellhousing (about a 1/10 of an inch thick) at about 11 o'clock. So if that doesn't work - what next?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The dowel pins are not up near the 11 oclock position. Be careful prying at the joint. There are only 6 bellhousing bolts in the auto and standard trans engines. Do you have the pressure plate arm free form everything.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I know it seems obvious, but do you have the entire plate in the cab floor removed so the shifter isn't binding on it?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you certain you removed BELL housing bolts on top not trans adapter plate bolts? Just checking!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I was thinking the same thing bout the adapter plate but also wondered how a person could reach them. Towcat seems to have seen a few of these bolts before. I know if the area being worked on has lots od road grime covering up the bolts its really hard to know you have them all out. A few years ago a member was talking to me about breaking the front oil coover header flange because it wouldn't come off the block. I told him there is 4 bolts holding that header on and he said nope.. Only three. Knowing better because of all the work I have done on those over the years I asked him if the engine was clean.. Nope.. Its all dirty greasey. So he cleaned off said broken area and found a bolt in the mess he didn't know of. Opps but no big deal. It was replaceable easily and thats what happened. In this original posters case I sure would be cleaning off the tight area and start looking for a bolt. Anytime you have a tight joint look deeper in the tight area. Usually a pin or bolt or nut is found hidden. The poster did say that all 6 bellhousing bolts came out but we are not there getting an eye on it.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
All six are out. The trans and transfer case are off so no shifter(s) to bind. There's 2 bolts at about the 9 position, two at 12 and two at 3. All of them are out. The guide pin on the pass. side is loose, because I can pry the starter side of the bellhousing and see the pin. I have pried the b-housing with a 3 foot long 2x4 and still nothing. It acts like the top of the two bolts at the 9 position is not loose - but it is... I've also already tried heating the area with the gas welder. The lower of the two bolts at the 9 position is loose but won't pull out of the bellhousing. Maybe just corrosion? I'm trying to locate another bellhousing. If I do, I can get more medieval with this one. THANKS all!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well this is a differant story now. So the bolts are loose but some are stuck in the holes. Well rust can and will grow and make any hole way too tight to pull out bolts. Aerokroil or PB Blaster is now needed to loose the rust. Spray it in the hole. then tap the bolt back in and start tightening it up. Loosen it up and do this a few times continuing to wet with oils. If you can pull the bolt out past the threads and push it back in that too will loosen up the rust.